The detailed analysis of localized elongated photonic nanojets generated by a graded-index microellipsoid is reported. Using high resolution finite-difference time-domain simulation, we have studied the distribution of the electric energy density within and in the vicinity outside a dielectric core-shell microellipsoid. Here we consider dielectric composite microellipsoid consisting of a core and several concentric shells having different types of index grading. It becomes possible to elongate the nanojet abnormally. The latitudinal and longitudinal sizes of a nanojet and its peak intensity depending on the optical contrast variation of shells are numerically investigated. The results may provide a new ultra-microscopy technique for optical detection of natural or artificially introduced nanostructures deeply embedded within biological cells.
2. Itagi, A. V. and W. A. Challener, "Optics of photonic nanojets J. Opt. Soc. Am. A,", Vol. 22, 2847-2858, 2005.
3. Li, C., G. W. Kattawar, and P. Zhai, "Electric and magnetic energy density distributions inside and outside dielectric particles illuminated by a plane electromagnetic wave," Opt. Express, Vol. 13, 4554-4559, 2005.
4. Heifetz, A., J. J. Simpson, S. Kong, A. Tflove, V. Backman, and , "Subdiffraction optical resolution of a gold nanosphere located within the nanojet of a Mie-resonant dielectric microsphere," Opt. Express, Vol. 15, 17334-17342, 2007.
5. Ferrand, P., J. Wenger, A. Devilez, M. Pianta, B. Stout, N. Bonod, E. Popov, and H. Rigneault, "Direct imaging of photonic nanojets," Opt. Express, Vol. 16, 6930-6940, 2008.
6. Devilez, A., B. Stout, N. Bonod, and E. Popov, "Spectral analysis of three-dimensional photonic jets," Opt. Express, Vol. 16, 14200-14212, 2008.
7. Holms, K., B. Hourahine, and F. Papoff, "Calculation of internal and scattered fields of axisymmetric nanoparticles at any point in space," J. Opt. A: Pure Appl. Opt., Vol. 11, 054009, 2009.
8. Kim, M., T. Scharf, S. MÄuhlig, C. Rockstuhl, and H. P. Herzig, "Engineering photonic nanojets Opt. Express,", Vol. 19, 10206-10220, 2011.
9. Yang, S., A. Taflove, and V. Backman, "Experimental confirmation at visible light wavelengths of the backscattering enhancement phenomenon of the photonic nanojet," Opt. Express, Vol. 19, 7084-7093, 2011.
10. Yi, K. J., Y. F. Lu, and Z. Y. Yang, "Enhanced Raman scattering by self-assembled silica spherical microparticles," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 101, 063528, 2007.
11. Lecler, S., S. Haacke, N. Lecong, O. Cregut, J. Rehspringer, and C. Hirlimann, "Photonic jet driven non-linear optics: Example of two-photon °uorescence enhancement by dielectric microspheres," Opt. Express, Vol. 15, 4935-4942, 2007.
12. Cui, X., D. Erni, and C. Hafner, "Optical forces on metallic nanoparticles induced by a photonic nanojet," Opt. Express, Vol. 16, 13560-13568, 2008.
13. Wang, Z., W. Guo, L. Li, B. Lukyanchuk, A. Khan, Z. Liu, Z. Chen, and M. Hong, "Optical virtual imaging at 50 nm lateral resolution with a white-light nanoscope," Nat. Commun., Vol. 2, 218, 2011.
14. Kong, S., A. Taflove, and V. Backman, "Quasi one-dimensional light beam generated by a graded-index microsphere," Opt. Express, Vol. 17, 3722-3731, 2009.
15. Ruiz, C. and J. J. Simpson, "Detection of embedded ultra-subwavelength-thin dielectric features using elongated photonic nanojets," Opt. Express, Vol. 18, 16805-16812, 2010.
16. Geints, Y. , E. K. Panina, and A. A. Zemlyanov, "Control over parameters of photonic nanojets of dielectric microspheres," Opt. Commun., Vol. 283, 4775-4781, 2010.
17. Liu, C.-Y., "Superenhanced photonic nanojet by core-shell microcylinders," Phys. Lett. A, Vol. 376, 1856-1860, 2012.
18. Bohren, C. F. and D. R. Huffman, Absorption and Scattering of Light by Samll Particles, Wiley, New York, 1983.
19. Taflove, A. and S. C. Hagness, "Computational Electrodynamics: The Finite Difference Time Domain Method," Artech House, 1998.
20. Liu, C.-Y., "Electro-optical resonant switching in two-dimensional side-coupled waveguide-cavity photonic crystal systems," Phys. Lett. A, Vol. 375, 3895-3898, 2011.
21. Berenger, J.-P., "A perfectly matched layer for the absorption of electromagnetic waves," J. Comput. Phys., Vol. 114, 185-200, 1994.
22. Li, C., G. W. Kattawar, and P. Yang, "Effects of surface roughness on light scattering by small particles," J. Quant. Spectrosc. Radiat. Transfer, Vol. 89, 123-131, 2004.
23. Prodan, E., C. Radloff, N. J. Halas, and P. Nordlander, "A hybridization model for the plasmon response of complex nanostructures," Science, Vol. 302, 419-422, 2003.
24. Poco, J. F. and L. W. Hrubesh, "Method of producing optical quality glass having a selected refractive index,", U.S. Patent 6,158,244, 2008.
25. Mazurin, O. V., M. V. Streltsina, and T. P. Shvaiko-Shavaikovskaya, Handbook of Glass Data, Elsevier, Amsterdam, 1993.