A near-field focused antenna used as a feed for linear array is presented in this paper. This antenna is an H-plane sectoral horn with a biconvex dielectric lens placed in its aperture. This antenna focuses the beam in one plane (H-plane) to illuminate a linear array with a small width and provide a large aperture on the other plan to illuminate the length of the array. The simulated field distribution on the array is found to be in good agreement with the measurement of a prototype at 9.41 GHz.
2. Bogosanovic, M. and A. Williamson, "Microstrip antenna array with a beam focused in the near-field zone for application in noncontact microwave industrial inspection," IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, Vol. 56, No. 6, 2186-2195, Dec. 2007.
3. Othera, I., "Focusing properties of a microwave radiator utilizing a slotted rectangular waveguide," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 38, No. 1, 121-124, Jan. 1990.
4. Bogosanovic, M., A. Al Anbury, and G. Emms, "Metal plate lens in a focused beam system for microwave material testing," Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference, APMC 2008, 1-4, Dec. 2008.
5. Grbic, A. and R. Merlin, "Near-field focusing plates and their design," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 10, 3159-3165, Oct. 2008.
6. Piksa, P. and P. Cerny, "Near field measurement of Gaussian beam behind dielectric lens," 17th International Conference in Radioelektronika, 1-4, Apr. 2007.
7. Moresco, M. and E. Zilli, "Focused aperture microwave antennas operating in the near-field zone," International Journal of Infrared and Millimeter Waves, Vol. 3, 279-293, Mar. 1982.
8. Ongareau, E., E. Marouby, and J. Levrel, "Charts for a quick design of spot-focusing corrugated horn lens antennas," Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, AP-S. Digest, Vol. 2, 986-989, Jun. 1994.
9. Salomonsson, D., J. Hirokawa, P.-S. Kildal, and A. Tengs, "Corrugated soft sector horn with different beam properties in the two principal planes," Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation IEE Proceedings, Vol. 144, No. 1, 13-19, Feb. 1997.
10. Silver, S., Microwave Antenna Theory and Design, 170, R.I.I.T. Rad. Lab. Ser., McGraw-Hill Book Co., New York, NY, 1949.
11. Siegman, A. E., Lasers, 675-679, University Science Books, 1986.