Switch mode power amplifiers offer high efficiency approaching 100% for an ideal case. This paper discusses the operation mode of broadband switch mode class-E power amplifier designed previously by the authors for UHF applications (600-1000 MHz). A method to extract the waveforms at the die reference plane from the time domain analysis using 50 Ω environment systems is discussed. It has been observed that the designed class-E power amplifier operation was not maintained ideally over the entire band; however, it was operating close to the class-E operation.
2. Gustavsson, U., "Design of an inverse class D amplifier using GaN HEMT technology,", M.S. Thesis, Orebro University, Department of Technology, Sweden, Jun. 2006.
3. Al Tanany, A., A. Sayed, and G. Boeck, "Broadband GaN switch mode class E power amplifier for UHF applications," IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, MTT'09, 761-764, Boston, USA, Jun. 2009.
4. Sokal, N. O. and A. D. Sokal, "Class E --- A new class of high e±ciency tunes single-ended switching power amplifiers," IEEE J. Solid-State Circuits, Vol. 10, Jun. 1975.
5. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, 3rd Ed., 183, Wiley, New York, 2005.
6. Kee, S. D., I. Aoki, A. Hajimiri, and D. B. Rutledge, "The class-E/F family of ZVS switching amplifiers," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory & Tech., Vol. 51, No. 6, 1677-1690, Jun. 2003.