A tri-band slotted F-shaped antenna with dual-polarization characteristics for wireless applications is presented. The crooked gap and F-shaped monopole are optimized to achieve tri-band operation of 2.4, 3.5 and 5.8 GHz with -10 dB impedance bandwidths of 20%, 14.1%, and 13.6%, respectively. Furthermore, by properly inserting an F-shaped strip on the wide-slot ground, the circular polarization (CP) with a 19% (3.3-4 GHz) 3dB axial ratio bandwidth is obtained. The proposed antenna has a compact dimension of 42×40×1.6 mm3. A prototype of the antenna is fabricated and tested, and an agreement with simulated results is obtained.
2. Song, Y., Y.-C. Jiao, H. Zhao, Z.-B. Weng, and F.-S. Zhang, "Compact printed monopole for multiband applications," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 50, No. 2, 365-367, 2008.
3. Kuo, Y.-L. and K.-L. Wong, "Printed double-T monopole antenna for 2.4/5.2 GHz dual-band WLAN operations," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagation, Vol. 51, No. 9, 2187-2192, 2003.
4. Li, F., L.-S. Ren, G. Zhao, and Y.-C. Jiao, "Compact triple-band monopole antenna with C-shaped and S-shaped meander strips for WLAN/WiMAX applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters,, Vol. 15, 107-116, 2010.
5. Fallahi, R., A. A. Kalteh, and M. G. Roozbahani, "A novel UWB elliptical slot antenna with band-notched characteristics," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 82, 127-136, 2008.
6. Xu, P., Z.-H. Yan, and C. Wang, "Multi-band modified folk-shaped monopole antenna with dual L-shaped parasitic plane," Electron. Lett., Vol. 47, No. 6, 364-365, 2011.
7. Abaga Abessole, M. A., A. El Moussaoui, and N. Aknin, "Dual-band monopole antenna with Omega particles for wireless applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 24, 27-34, 2011.
8. Seol, K., J. Jung, and J. Choi, "Multi-band monopole antenna with inverted U-shaped parasitic plane," Electron. Lett., Vol. 42, No. 15, 844-845, 2006.
9. Bao, X. L. and M. J. Ammann, "Dual-frequency circularly-polarized patch antenna with compact size and small frequency ratio," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 7, Jul. 2007.
10. Chen, C.-H. and E. K. N. Yung, "Dual-band circularly-polarized CPW-fed slot antenna with a small frequency ratio and wide bandwidths," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagation, Vol. 59, No. 4, 1379-1384.
11. Zhou, Y., C.-C. Chen, and J. L. Volakis, "Single-fed circularly polarized antenna element with reduced coupling for GPS arrays," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 5, 1469-1472, May 2008.