In this paper, a compact tunable dual-stop-band filter is proposed. The proposed filter is based on the combination of double H-shaped defected ground structure (HDGS) and E-shaped defected microstrip structure (EDMS). The loaded HDGS/EDMS varactor diode is introduced to realize the tunable dual-stop-band filter. The equivalent-circuit models and theoretical analysis of the proposed structure are presented; also its performance evaluation is compared with traditional structure. The proposed filter has the characteristic of two independently adjustable stopbands and wide tuning range. EDMS also shows size reduction up to 38% compared with the T-shaped defected microstrip structure. The measured performance of the tunable dual-stop-band filter agrees well with the simulation results.
2. Zhou, L. H., H. Tang, J. X. Chen, and Z. H. Bao, "Tunable filtering balun with enhanced stopband rejection," Electron. Lett., Vol. 48, No. 14, 845-847, Jul. 2012.
3. Cameron, R. J., M. Yu, and Y. Wang, "Direct-coupled microwave filters with single and dual stopbands," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 53, No. 11, 3288-3297, Nov. 2005.
4. Ning, H., J. Wang, Q. Xiong, and L. Mao, "Design of planar dual and triple narrow-band bandstop filters with independently controlled stopbands and improved spurious response," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 131, 259-274, 2012.
5. Gil, I., J. Garcia-Garcia, J. Bonache, F. Martin, M. Sorolla, and R. Marques, "Varactor-loaded split ring resonators for tunable notch filters at microwave frequencies," Electron. Lett., Vol. 40, No. 21, 1347-1348, Oct. 2004.
6. Bouyge, D., D. Mardivirin, J. Bonache, A. Crunteanu, A. Pothier, M. Duran-Sindreu, P. Blondy, and F. Martin, "Split Ring Resonators (SRRs) based on Micro-Electro-Mechanical deflectable cantilever-type rings: Application to tunable stopband filters," Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 21, No. 5, 243-245, May 2011.
7. Gil, I., F. Martin, X. Rottenberg, and W. De Raedt, "Tunable stop-band filter at Q-band based on RF-MEMS metamaterials," Electron. Lett., Vol. 43, No. 21, 10, Oct. 2007.
8. Wang, X., B. Wang, H. Zhang, and K. J. Chen, "A tunable bandstop resonator based on a compact slotted ground structure," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 55, No. 9, 1912-1917, Sep. 2007.
9. Huang, S. and Y. Lee, "A compact E-shaped patterned ground structure and its application to tunable bandstop resonator," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 57, No. 3, 657-666, Mar. 2009.
10. Chin, K.-S. and C.-K. Lung, "Miniaturized microstrip dual-band bandstop filters using tri-section stepped-impedance resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 10, 37-48, 2009.
11. Chiou, H.-K. and C.-F. Tai, "Dual-band microstrip bandstop filter using dual-mode loop resonator," Electron. Lett., Vol. 45, No. 10, 507-509, 2009.
12. Vegesna, S. and M. Saed, "Microstrip dual-band bandpass and bandstop filters," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 54, No. 1, 168-171, 2012.
13. Huang, S. Y. and Y. H. Lee, "A compact E-shaped patterned ground structure and its applications to tunable bandstop resonator," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 57, No. 3, 657-666, Mar. 2009.
14. Wang, J., H. Ning, Q. Xiong, M. Li, and L. Mao, "A novel miniaturized dual-band bandstop filter using dual-plane defected structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 134, 397-417, 2013.
15. Wang, X. H., Z. Wang, H. Zhang, and K. J. Chen, "A tunable bandstop resonator based on a compact slotted ground structure," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 55, No. 9, 1912-1918, Sep. 2007.
16. Xue, Q., K. M. Shum, and C. H. Chan, "Novel 1-D microstrip PBG cells," IEEE Microw. Guided Wave Lett., Vol. 10, No. 10, 403-405, 2000.
17. Kazerooni, M., A. Cheldavi, and M. Kamarei, "A novel bandpass defected microstrip structure (DMS) filter for planar circuits," PIERS, 1214-1217, Moscow, Russia, Aug. 18-21, 2009.