This paper presents a circularly polarized compact antenna based on the concept of Yagi-Uda antenna. By properly arranging three ring resonators operating at the fundamental mode, a compact Yagi-Uda like antenna is proposed to form directional pattern. This proposed antenna has comparable size with the ring resonator of quarter-wavelength, while the performances are comparable with the conventional microstrip antenna of half-wavelength. To validate the proposed design methodology, an antenna working at UHF radio-frequency identification (RFID) band is benchmarked. Both simulated and measured results are shown for comparison.
2. Wong, K. L., Compact and Broadband Microstrip Antennas, John Wiley & Sons, INC, 2002.
3. Li, R. L., G. DeJean, M. M. Tentzeris, and J. Laskar, "Development and analysis of a folded shorted-patch antenna with reduced size," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 52, No. 2, 555-562, Mar. 2004.
4. Holub, A. and M. Polivka, "A novel microstrip patch antenna miniaturization technique: A meanderly folded shorted-patch antenna," 14th Conference on Microwave Techniques, COMITE 2008, 1-4, 2008.
5. Sun, L., B. Du, and B.-H. Sun, "Inductively loaded and magnetically coupled small antenna with circular polarization," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 27, No. 5, 539-543, 2013.
6. Sze, J.-Y. and S.-P. Pan, "Design of broadband circularly polarized square slot antenna with a compact size," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 120, 513-533, 2011.
7. Shu, P. and Q. Feng, "Design of a compact quad-band hybrid antenna for compass/WiMAX/WLAN applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 138, 585-598, 2013.
8. Liu, J. C., B. H, Zeng, L. Badjie, S. Drammeh, S. S. Bor, T.-F. Hung, and D. C. Chang, "Single-feed circularly polarized aperture-coupled stack antenna with dual-mode square loop radiator," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagat. Lett., Vol. 9, 887-890, 2010.
9. Li, Y., S. Sun, L. J. Jiang, and T. T. Ye, "A circular polarization hybrid-integrated rectangular ring antenna for RFID reader," IEEE Int. Symp. on Antennas and Propagat., 1-2, Jul. 8-14, 2012.
10. Chen, H. M. and K. L. Wong, "On the circular polarization operation of annular-ring microstrip antennas," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 47, No. 8, 1289-1292, Aug. 1999.
11. Row, J. S., "Design of square-ring microstrip antenna for circular polarization," Electron. Lett., Vol. 40, No. 2, 93-95, Jan. 2004.
12. Chen, W. S., C. K. Wu, and K. L. Wong, "Single-feed square-ring microstrip antenna with truncated corners for compact circular polarisation operation," Electron. Lett., Vol. 40, No. 2, 93-95, Jan. 2004.
13. Sim, C. Y. D. and C. J. Chi, "A slot loaded circularly polarized patch antenna for UHF RFID reader," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 60, No. 10, 4516-4521, Oct. 2012.
14. Wu, T. Q., H. Su, L. Y. Gan, H. Z. Chen, J. Y. Huang, and H. W. Zhang, "A compact and broadband microstrip stacked patch antenna with circular polarization for 2.45 GHz mobile RFID reader," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagat. Lett., Vol. 12, 623-626, 2013.
15. Qing, X. M. and Y. W. M. Chia, "Circularly polarised circular ring slot antenna fed by stripline hybrid coupler," Electron. Lett., Vol. 35, No. 25, 2154-2155, Dec. 1999.
16. Lin, Y. F., H. M. Chen, F. H. Chu, and S. C. Pan, "Bidirectional radiated circularly polarised square-ring antenna for portable RFID reader," Electron. Lett., Vol. 44, No. 24, 1383-1384, Nov. 2008.
17. Zhang, J. and X. Yang, "Integrated compact circular polarization annular ring slot antenna design for RFID reader," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 39, 133-140, 2013.
18. Chen, X., G. Fu, S. X. Gong, Y. L. Yan, and W. Zhao, "Circularly polarization stacked annular-ring microstrip antenna with integrated feeding network for UHF RFID readers," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagat. Lett., Vol. 9, 542-545, 2010.
19. Ohmine, H., Y. Sunahara, and M. Matsunaga, "An annular-ring microstrip antenna fed by a co-planar feed circuit for mobile satellite communication use," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 45, No. 6, 1001-1008, Jun. 1997.
20. Guo, Y. X., L. Bian, and X. Q. Shi, "Broadband circularly polarized annular-ring microstrip antenna," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 57, No. 8, 2474-2477, Aug. 2009.
21. Wang, P., G. Wen, J. Li, Y. Huang, L. Yang, and Q. Zhang, "Wideband circularly polarized UHF RFID reader antenna with high gain and wide axial ratio beamwidths," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 129, 365-385, 2012.
22. Chen, Z. N., X. M. Qing, and H. L. Chung, "A universal UHF RFID reader antenna," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory. & Tech., Vol. 57, No. 5, May 2009.
23. Sun, S. and L. Zhu, "Miniaturized patch hybrid couplers using asymmetrically loaded cross slots," IET Microw. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 4, No. 9, 1427-1433, Sep. 2010.