A compact shorted annular patch antenna for global positioning system is presented in this paper. Multipath-rejection capability is realized with two stacked shorted annular patches (SAP). The broadband characteristic of the (-10 dB return loss) input impedance bandwidth and the 3 dB bandwidth of axial ratio is achieved by employing capacitively coupled feed structure while the shorted pins located between the upper and the lower patches will realize the impendence matching of the high frequency, which can cover L5/L2/L1 bands for GPS and the relative input impedance bandwidth can achieve 50.6%. The size is 0.3λ×0.3λ for 1.1 GHz.
2. Kramer, B. A., S. Koulouridis, C. C. Chen, and J. L. Volakis, "A novel reflective surface for an UHF spiral antenna," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 5, No. 1, 32-34, 2006.
3. Scire-Scappuzzo, F. and S. N. Makarov, "A low-multipath wideband GPS antenna with cutoff or non-cutoff corrugated ground plane," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 1, 33-46, 2009.
4. Mazzarella, G. and D. Giuseppe, "Shorted annular patch antenna," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 8, No. 4, 1995.
5. Jackson, D. R., J. T. Williams, A. K. Bhattacharyya, R. L. Smith, S. J. Buchheit, and S. A. Long, "Microstrip patch designs that do not excite surface waves," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 41, No. 8, 1026-1037, 1993.
6. Emilio, A., B. Luigi, A. Giandomenico, and D. Giuseppe, "A compact high gain antenna for small satellite applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 2, 277-282, 2007.
7. Dong, C., The study of multipath-rejecting antenna for multimode airborne satellite navigation system, Dissertation of Dalian Maritime University, 2011.
8. Luigi, B., A. Giandomenico, and D. Giuseppe, "Design a high-precision antenna for GPS," Microwaves & RF, Vol. 1, 91-93, 2003.