A high-gain and low-cost circularly polarized antenna array is proposed, which consists of four sequentially rotated circularly polarized square slot antennas (CPSSA). A novel feeding network is applied to the four-element array antenna, which results in increasing the axial ratio (AR) bandwidth. The measured impedance bandwidth for VSWR<2 is around 3.48 GHz (3.75 GHz~7.23 GHz) exhibiting a 2.8 GHz (3.8 GHz~6.6 GHz) 3 dB axial-ratio bandwidth (ARBW) and 9.05 dBic peak gain. The simulated and measured results are in good agreement with each other to verify the design.
1. Rafi, V., J. Nourinia, C. Ghobadi, J. Pourahmadazar, and B. S. Virdee, "Broadband circularly polarized slot antenna array using sequentially rotated technique for C-band applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 12, 128-131, 2013. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2013.2237744
2. Pourahmadazar, J. and V. Rafii, "Broadband circularly polarised slot antenna array for L- and S-band applications," Electronics Letters, Vol. 48, No. 10, 542-543, May 10, 2012. doi:10.1049/el.2012.0294
3. Huang, J. and D. M. Pozar, "Miscrotrip arrays: Analysis, design, and applications," Advances in Microstrip and Printed Antennas, Vol. 123, K. F. Lee and W. Chen, Eds., Wiley-Interscience, New York, 1997.
4. Guo, Y. X., L. Bian, and X. Q. Shi, "Broadband circularly polarized annular-ring microstrip antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 57, No. 8, 2474-2477, Aug. 2009.
5. Mailloux, R., J. McIlvenna, and N. Kernweis, "Microstrip array technology," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 29, No. 1, 25-37, Jan. 1981. doi:10.1109/TAP.1981.1142525
6. James, J. R. and P. S. Hall, Handbook of Microstrip Antennas, Peter Peregrinus, London, UK, 1989.
7. Teshirogi, T., M. Tanaka, and W. Chujo, "Wideband circularly polarized array antenna with sequential rotations and phase shifts of elements," Proc. Int. Symp. Antennas Propagation, 117-120, Tokyo, Japan, 1985.
8. Huang, J., "A technique for an array to generate circular polarization with linearly polarized elements," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 34, No. 9, 1113-1124, Sep. 1986. doi:10.1109/TAP.1986.1143953
9. Hall, P. S., J. Huang, E. Rammos, and A. Roederer, "Gain of circularly polarized array composed of linearly polarized elements," Electronics Letters, Vol. 25, No. 2, 124-125, Jan. 1989. doi:10.1049/el:19890091
11. Hall, P. S. and C. M. Hall, "Coplanar corporate feed effects in microstrip patch array design," Inst. Elect. Eng. Proc. H --- Microw., Antennas Propag., Vol. 135, No. 3, 180-186, Jun. 1988. doi:10.1049/ip-h-2.1988.0038
12. Gao, S., Q. Yi, and A. Sambell, "Low-cost broadband circularly polarized printed antennas and array," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 49, No. 4, 57-64, Aug. 2007. doi:10.1109/MAP.2007.4385597
13. Fu, S., S. Fang, Z. Wang, and X. Li, "Broadband circularly polarized slot antenna array fed by asymmetric CPW for L-band applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 8, 1014-1015, Sep. 2009.
14. Tsai, C.-L., "A coplanar-strip dipole antenna for broadband circular polarization operation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 121, 141-157, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIER11082407