A compact printed ultra-wideband (UWB) antenna with band-notched characteristic is proposed. The presented antenna consists of a modified ground plane structure and a novel C-shaped radiation patch fed by a microstrip line. By etching a C-shaped slot in the radiating patch, the notched band of 3.3-3.8 GHz for WiMAX is generated. The notched band can be easily tuned by controlling the size of the slot. The measured results show that the proposed antenna operates over a wide bandwidth from 3 GHz to 16 GHz with return loss less than -10, except a stop-band of 3.3-3.8 GHz. Some key parameters of the antenna are discussed in details. The time-domain characteristics are given.
1. Fereidoony, F., S. Chamaani, and S. A. Mirtaheri, "Systematic design of UWB monopole antenna with stable omnidirectional radiation pattern," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, 752-755, 2012. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2012.2205658
2. Sim, C.-Y.-D., W.-T. Chung, and C.-H. Lee, "A circular-disc monopole antenna with band-rejection function for ultrawideband application," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 51, No. 6, 1607-1613, 2009. doi:10.1002/mop.24379
3. Yazdi, M. and N. Komjani, "A compact band-notched UWB planar monopole antenna with parasitic elements," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 24, 129-138, 2011.
4. Zang, J. W. and X. T. Wang, "Design and analysis of a compact ultra-wideband antenna with a band-notch characteristic," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 55, No. 9, 2236-2240, 2013. doi:10.1002/mop.27795
5. Chuang, C. T., T. J. Lin, and S. J. Chung, "A band-notched UWB monopole antenna with high notch-band-edge selectivity," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 10, 4492-4499, 2012. doi:10.1109/TAP.2012.2207327
6. Moradhesari, A., M. Moosazadeh, and Z. Esmati, "Band-notched UWB planar monopole antenna using slotted conductor-backed plane," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters,, Vol. 54, No. 10, 2237-2241, 2012. doi:10.1002/mop.27063
7. Chu, Q.-X. and T.-G. Huang, "Compact UWB antenna with sharp band-notched characteristics for lower WLAN band," Electronics Letters, Vol. 47, No. 15, 838-839, 2011. doi:10.1049/el.2011.1053
8. Malekpoor, H. and and S. Jam, "Enhanced bandwidth of shorted patch antennas using folded patch techniques," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 12, 198-201, 2013. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2013.2244555
9. Kang, C.-H., S.-J. Wu, and J.-H. Tarng, "A novel folded UWB antenna for wireless body area network," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 2, 1139-1142, 2012. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2173101