When the metal film is thicker than the skin depth in the working frequency band, the transmission characteristics of outer coated type are superior to the transmission properties of inner coated type under the same size. Further more, the transmission properties of the single, double, three and four groove both for inner coating and outer coating terahertz (THz) polystyrene (PS) tubes are studied in this paper. In result, the transmission properties of single and double slot are good, but the three and four slots' transmission characteristics deteriorate. In addition, slots width affects the transmission characteristics of PS tubes evidently, and the attenuation coefficient of outer coated PS tube with single slot is proportional to the slot width, so as to optimize the transmission properties of PS tube. It is a compromise for the slot width (it is better to choose appropriate slot width).
1. Kleine-Ostmann, T. and T. Nagatsuma, "A review on terahertz communications research," J. Infrared Milli. Terahz. Waves, Vol. 32, 143-171, 2011. doi:10.1007/s10762-010-9758-1
2. Uthman, M., et al., "Design and characterization of low-loss porous-core photonic crystal fiber," IEEE Photonics Journal, Vol. 4, No. 6, 2315-2325, 2012. doi:10.1109/JPHOT.2012.2231939
3. Wang, Z., Y. Zhang, R. Xu, and W. Lin, "Investigation of terahertz wave propagation along shielded dielectric multiple-slot waveguide," J. Infrared Milli. Terahz. Waves, Vol. 32, 204-215, 2011. doi:10.1007/s10762-010-9759-0
4. Chen, D. and H. Chen, "A novel low-loss terahertz waveguide: Polymer tube," Optics Express, Vol. 18, No. 4, 3762-3767, 2010. doi:10.1364/OE.18.003762
5. Piesiewicz, R., et al., "Short-range ultra-broadband terahertz communications: Concepts and perspectives," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 49, No. 6, 24-39, 2007. doi:10.1109/MAP.2007.4455844
6. Zhang, R., et al., "Research on reflectors in terahertz wireless communication systems," Acta Physica Sinica, Vol. 58, No. 7, 4618-4623, 2009.
7. Lu, D., et al., "Transmission characteristics of hollow metallic film-coated circular waveguide for THz radiation," Laser & Infrared, Vol. 37, No. 12, 1287-1289, 2007.
8. Kong, F. M., et al., "Analysis of the surface magnetoplasmon modes in the semiconductor slit waveguide at terahertz frequencies," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 82, 257-270, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08031224
9. Biber, S., et al., "Biber, S., M. Bozzi, O. Gunther, et al., \Design and testing of frequency-selective surfaces on silicon substrates for submillimeter-wave applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 54, No. 9, 2638-2645, 2006. doi:10.1109/TAP.2006.880663
10. Sato, S., T. Katagiri, and Y. Matsuura, "Fabrication method of small-diameter hollow waveguides for terahertz waves," Journal of the Optical Society of America B, Vol. 29, No. 11, 3006-3009, 2012. doi:10.1364/JOSAB.29.003006