A new small, low-profile and light-weight helical antenna element was designed for L-band satellite communications. The novelty of the antenna is that its input impedance matching has been improved by adjusting the copper strip matching stub, while its circular polarization performance has been enhanced by changing the parasitic radiation patch loaded in the front of the antenna. The optimal antenna structure for INMARSAT application has been fabricated and measured. The proposed antenna can produce a gain of higher than 9 dB, a 3-dB axial ratio bandwidth of nearly 15%, and a |S11|<-15 dB impedance bandwidth of nearly 19%. A good agreement between measurements and simulations is obtained. The proposed antenna is compact in size and easy to tune. It provides a promising antenna element for antenna array applications.
1. Ilcev, S. D., " Global Mobile Satellite Communications: For Maritime, Land and Aeronautical Applications," Springer, 2005.
2. Wang, J.-L. and C.-S. Liu, "Development and application of INMARSAT satellite communication system," Proceedings of International Conference on Instrumentation, Measurement, Computer, Communication and Control, 619-621, 2011.
3. Kraus, J. D., "Helical beam antennas," Electronics, Vol. 20, 109-111, 1947.
4. Nakano, H., Y. Samasa, and J. Yamauchi, "Axial mode helical antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 34, No. 9, 489-509, 1986. doi:10.1109/TAP.1986.1143944
5. Djordfevic, A. R., A. G. Zajic, M. M. Llic, and G. L. Stuber, "Optimization of helical antennas," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 48, 107-115, 2006.
6. Wu, Z.-H., W.-Q. Che, B. Fu, P.-Y. Lau, and E. K. N. Yung, "Axial mode elliptical helical antenna with parasitic wire for CP bandwidth enhancement," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 1, No. 4, 943-944, 2007. doi:10.1049/iet-map:20060239
7. Yang, F., P. Zhang, C.-J. Guo, and J.-D. Xu, "Axial mode elliptical helical antenna with variable pitch angle," Electronics Letters, Vol. 44, No. 9, 1103-1104, 2008. doi:10.1049/el:20081818
8. Nakano, H., H. Takeda, T. Honma, H. Mimaki, and J. Yamauchi, "Extremely low-pro file helixradiating a circularly polarized wave," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 39, No. 6, 754-757, 1991. doi:10.1109/8.86872
9. Nakano, H. and H. Mimaki, "Radiation from a short helical antenna backed by a cavity," Electronics Letters, Vol. 31, No. 8, 602-604, 1995. doi:10.1049/el:19950440
10. Hui, H. T., K. Y. Chan, and E. K. N. Yung, "The low-profile hemispherical helical antenna with circular polarization radiation over a wide angular range," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 51, No. 6, 1415-1418, 2003. doi:10.1109/TAP.2003.812187
11. Gharibi, H. and F. Hojjat-Kashani, "Design of a wideband monopulse antenna using four conical helix antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 29, 25-33, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIERL11111106
12. Nakano, H., K. Sato, H. Mimaki, and J. Yamauchi, "A long helical antenna wound on a dielectric rod," Proceedings of ISAP, 965-968, 2004.