This paper proposes a novel signal processing approach to thermal non-destructive testing by incorporating Gaussian window function onto the linear frequency modulated incident heat flux to achieve better pulse compression properties. The present work highlights a finite element analysis based modeling and simulation technique in order to test the capabilities of the proposed windowing scheme over the conventional frequency modulated thermal wave imaging method. It is shown that by using Gaussian weighted chirp thermal stimulus, high depth resolution can be achieved.
2. Almond, D. P. and P. Patel, Photothermal Science and Techniques, Chapman & Hall Publication, 1996.
3. Maldague, X. P. V., Theory and Practice of Infrared Thermography for Nondestructive Testing, Wiley, New York, 2001.
4. Maldague, X. P. V. and S. Marinetti, "Pulse phase infrared thermography," Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 79, No. 5, 2694-2698, 1996. doi:10.1063/1.362662
5. Dillenz, A., T. Zweschper, G. Riegert, and G. Busse, "Progress in phase angle thermography," Review of Scientific Instruments, Vol. 74, No. 1, 417-419, 2003. doi:10.1063/1.1524010
6. Tabatabaei, N., A. Mandelis, and B. T. Amaechi, "Thermophotonic radar imaging: An emissivity-normalized modality with advantages over phase lock-in thermography," Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 98, No. 16, Article No. 163706, 2011.
7. Mulaveesala, R. and S. Tuli, "Implementation of frequency modulated thermal wave imaging for non-destructive subsurface defect detection," Insight, Vol. 47, No. 4, 206-208, 2005. doi:10.1784/insi.188.8.131.52156
8. Mulaveesala, R., P. Pal, and S. Tuli, "Interface study of bonded wafers by digitized linear frequency modulated thermal wave imaging," Sensors and Actuators A, Vol. 128, 209-216, 2006. doi:10.1016/j.sna.2006.01.004
9. Mulaveesala, R. and S. Tuli, "Theory of frequency modulated thermal wave imaging for non-destructive sub-surface defect detection," Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 89, No. 19, 2006. doi:10.1063/1.2382738
10. Mulaveesala, R., V. Jyani Somayajulu, and P. Singh, "Pulse compression approach to infrared non-destructive characterization," Rev. Sci. Instrum., Vol. 79, No. 9, 094901-1-094901-6, 2008.
11. Ghali, V. S., N. Jonnalagadda, and R. Mulaveesala, "Three-dimensional pulse compression for infrared nondestructive testing," IEEE Sensors Journal, Vol. 9, No. 7, 832-833, 2009. doi:10.1109/JSEN.2009.2024042
12. Ghali, V. S., R. Mulaveesala, and M. Takei, "Cross-correlation based compression technique for frequency modulated thermal wave imaging," 10th International Conference on Quantitative InfraRed Thermography, Quebec, Canada, Jul. 27-30, 2010.
13. Ghali, , V. S. and R. Mulaveesala, "Comparative data processing approaches for thermal wave imaging techniques for non-destructive testing," Sensing and Imaging, Vol. 12, No. 1-2, 15-33, 2011. doi:10.1007/s11220-011-0059-0
14. Ghali, V. S., R. Mulaveesala, and M. Takei, "Frequency modulated thermal wave imaging for non destructive testing of carbon fiber reinforced plastic materials," Meas. Sci. Technol., Vol. 22, 104018, 2011. doi:10.1088/0957-0233/22/10/104018
15. Mulaveesala, R. and V. S. Ghali, "Coded excitation for infrared non-destructive testing of carbon fiber reinforced plastics," Rev. Sci. Instrum., Vol. 82, 054902, 2011. doi:10.1063/1.3594551
16. Mulaveesala, R., S. S. B. Panda, R. N. Mude, and M. Amarnath, "Non-destructive evaluation of concrete structures by non-stationary thermal wave imaging," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 32, 39-48, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIERL12042005
17. Mulaveesala, R., V. S. Ghali, and V. Arora, "Applications of non-stationary thermal wave imaging methods for characterization of fibre reinforced plastic materials," Electronics Letters, Vol. 49, No. 2, 118-119, 2013. doi:10.1049/el.2012.3844
18. Wehner, D. R., High Resolution Radar, Norwood, Massachusetts, Artech House, 1994.