A broadband circularly polarized (CP) slot antenna array fed by a coplanar waveguide (CPW) is proposed. A fan-shaped feed line and three L-shaped grounded strips are embedded in the square slot antenna element to enlarge the bandwidth. Simulated results show that the antenna element can obtain a wide impedance bandwidth with -10 dB reflection coefficient covering 1.7-6.3 GHz (about 115% relative bandwidth) and 3 dB axial ratio (AR) bandwidth covering 2.6-5.2 GHz (about 66%). Using four elements with sequential phase feed, the measured impedance bandwidth and axial ratio bandwidth of the antenna array can be enhanced to 105% (1.65-5.35 GHz) and 71.3% (2.3-4.85 GHz), respectively. Good radiation characteristics with the peak gain of 10.8 dBic over the operating band can be obtained.
1. Teshirogi, T., M. Tanaka, and W. Chujo, "Wideband circularly polarized array antenna with sequential rotations and phase shifts of elements," Proc. Int. Symp. Antennas Propagat. ISAP, 117-120, Tokyo, Japan, Aug. 1985.
2. Hui, H. T., E. K. N. Yung, C. L. Law, Y. S. Koh, and W. L. Koh, "Design of a small and low-profile 2x2 hemispherical helical antenna array for mobile satellite communications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 52, No. 1, 346-348, 2004. doi:10.1109/TAP.2003.822410
3. Thi, T. N., S. Trinh-Van, G. Kwon, and K. C. Hwang, "Single-feed triple band circularly polarized spidron fractal slot antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 143, 207-221, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIER13090501
4. Tiang, J. J., M. T. Islam, N. Misran, and J. S. Mandeep, "Circular microstrip slot antenna for dual-frequency RFID application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 120, 449-512, 2010.
5. Rafii, V., J. Nourinia, C. H. Ghobadi, J. Pourahmadazar, and B. S. Virdee, "Broadband circularly polarized slot antenna array using sequentially rotated technique for C-band applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 12, 128-131, 2013. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2013.2237744
6. Pourahmadazar, J., C. H. Ghobadi, J. Nourinia, N. Felegari, and H. Shirzad, "Broadband CPW-fed circularly polarized square slot antenna with inverted-L strips for UWB applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 10, 369-372, 2011. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2011.2147271
7. Sze, J. Y., K. L. Wong, and C. C. Huang, "Coplanar waveguide-fed square slot antenna for broadband circularly polarized radiating," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 51, No. 8, 2141-2144, Aug. 2003. doi:10.1109/TAP.2003.815421
8. Sze, J.-Y. and Y.-H. Ou, "Compact CPW-fed square aperture CP antenna for GPS and INMARSAT applications," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 49, No. 2, 427-430, Feb. 2007. doi:10.1002/mop.22147
9. Sze, J.-Y., C.-I. G. Hsu, Z.-W. Chen, and C.-C. Chang, "Broadband CPW-fed circularly polarized square slot antenna with lightening-shaped feed-line and inverted-L grounded strips," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 58, No. 3, 973-977, Mar. 2010. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2039335
10. Sze, J. Y. and C. C. Chang, "Circularly polarized square slot antenna with a pair of inverted-L grounded strips," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 7, 149-151, 2008. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2008.921341
11. Chen, C. and E. K. N. Yung, "Dual-band dual-sense circularly-polarized CPW-fed slot antenna with two spiral slots loaded," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 57, No. 6, 1829-1833, Jun. 2009. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2019990
12. Chiang, M.-J., T.-F. Hung, and S.-S. Bor, "Dual-band circular slot antenna design for circularly and linearly polarized operations," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 52, No. 12, 2717-2721, Dec. 2010. doi:10.1002/mop.25562
13. Fu, S., S. Fang, Z. Wang, and X. Li, "Broadband circularly polarized slot antenna array fed by asymmetric CPW for L-band applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 8, 1014-1016, 2009.
14. Lin, S. and Y. Lin, "A compact sequential-phase feed using uniform transmission lines for circularly polarized sequential-rotation arrays," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 59, No. 7, 2721-2724, 2011. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2152346
15. Li, Y., Z. Zhang, and Z. Feng, "A sequential-phase feed using a circularly polarized shorted loop structure," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 61, No. 3, 1443-1447, 2013. doi:10.1109/TAP.2012.2227103