This paper presents the transmission line analysis, thermal and structural analysis of a multi-section coaxial coupler (MSCC) used in traveling-wave tubes (TWTs) to handle high average power over a wide frequency range. Power transmission through coupler from the device demands very good matching between load and source impedances such that low VSWR is achieved. Modeling of the MSCC for wideband TWTs in commercially software packages takes very long iteration time even in high-end computers. An analytical approach has been developed to model MSCC which takes less iteration time even in ordinary computer. Analytical results have been compared to those obtained from CST microwave studio. Finally, thermal and structural analysis has been carried out to study the thermal aspects for handling high average RF power.
1. Kim, H. S., H. S. Uhm, and S. W. Baek, "Thermal and structural analysis on output coupler of helix-TWT," Proceedings of 30th IEEE International Conference on Plasma Science (ICOPS), 174, Jun. 2003.
2. Sinha, A. K., V. V. P. Singh, V. Srivastava, and S. N. Joshi, "On the design of coaxial coupler having multi-section short transformer for compact sized power helix travelling wave tubes," IEEE Vacuum Electronics Conference, Monterey, CA, USA, 2000.
3. Baik, C.-W., B. Jia, S.-S. Jung, and G.-S. Park, "Matching of the helix with coaxial coupler," 2000 25th International Conference on Infrared and Millimeter Waves, Conference Digest, 337-338, Beijing, China, 2000.
4. Alaria, M. K., A. K. Sinha, and V. Srivastava, "Thermal analysis of coaxial coupler for a space helix TWT," India Journal of Radio & Space Physics, Vol. 38, 227-232, Aug. 2009.
5. Ghosh, T. K., R. G. Carter, A. J. Challis, K. G. Rushbrook, and D. Bowler, "Optimization of coaxial couplers," IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, Vol. 54, No. 7, 1753-1759, 2007. doi:10.1109/TED.2007.898045
6. Ghosh, S., P. K. Jain, and B. N. Basu, "Rigorous tape analysis of inhomogeneously loaded slow-wave structures," IEEE Trans. on Electron Devices, Vol. 44, No. 7, 1158-1168, 1997. doi:10.1109/16.595945
7. Gilmour, A. S., Principles of Traveling Wave Tubes, Artech House, Boston, 1994.
8. Collin, R. E., Foundations for Microwave Engineering, 2nd Ed., McGrew-Hill, Inc., 1992.
9. Kim, H. J., Y. H. Na, J. J. Choi, and J. H. So, "Experimental investigation of a helical travelingwave tube designed by accurate numerical modeling," Journal of the Korean Physical Society, Vol. 50, No. 1, 72-77, 2007. doi:10.3938/jkps.50.72
10. CST Studio Suite 2010 Operating Manual, , Licensed 2010, Darmstadt, Germany, 2010.