Noncontact temperature measurements in industrial scenarios present great variety of difficulties (dust, vapor...). In this work, the authors study the use of a low-cost microwave power radiometers to measure the temperature of hot metal plate during its cooling with water. Two different radiometer, centred at different frequency bands, have been experimentally considered. The radiometers have been surrounded with a metal box to reduce undesirable radiation. Several experiments have been carried out, showing the ability of these radiometers to detect the cooling of the plates. A recalibration of the radiometers gain can be done to compensate the gain variation of the circuitry of the radiometers.
2. Pujara, D., S. B. Sharma, and S. B. Chakrabarty, "Historical and planned uses of antenna technology for space-borne microwave radiometers," IEEE Antennas and Propag. Mag., Vol. 53, No. 3, 95-114, June 2011.
3. Dubois, L., J.-P. Sozanski, V. Tessier, J.-C. Camart, J.-J. Fabre, J. Pribetichand, and M. Chive, "Temperature control and thermal dosimetry by microwave radiometry in hypertermia," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 44, No. 10, October 1996.
4. Klemetsen, A., Y. Birkelund, and S. K. Jacobsen, "Design of medical radiometer front-end for improved performance," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 27, 289-306, 2011.
5. Beaucamp-Ricard, C., L. Dubois, S. Vaucher, P.-Y. Cresson, T. Lasri, and J. Pribetich, "Temperature measurement by microwave radiometry: Application to microwave sintering," IEEE Trans. On InstrumMeasur., Vol. 58, No. 5, 1712-1719, May 2009.
6. Stephan, K. D., J. B. Mead, D. M. Pozar, L. Wang, and J. A. Pearce, "A near field focused microstrip array for a radiometric temperature sensor," IEEE Trans Antenna Propag., Vol. 55, No. 4, 1199-1203, April 2007.
7. Stephan, K. D. and J. A. Pearce, "Low-cost remote temperature sensor for microwave and rf heating using microwave radiometry," Journal of Microwave Power & Electromagnetic Energy, Vol. 37, No. 2, 113-124, 2002.
8. Chen, J., Y. Li, , J. Wang, Y. Li, and Y. Zhang, "An accurate imaging algorithm for millimeter wave synthetic aperture imaging radiometer in near-field," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 141, 517-535, 2013.
9. Mishra, P., A. Upadhyaya, and G. Sethi, "Modeling of microwave heating of particulate metals," Metallurgical and Materials Transactions B, Vol. 37, No. 5, 839-845, October 2006.