A dual-polarized multiple-input-multiple-output (MIMO) antenna integrated with electromagnetic band-gap (EBG) is proposed. The MIMO antenna consists of two dual-polarized (0°and 90° polarizations) antenna elements. Each element includes four symmetrical arc-shaped slots. A mushroom-shaped EBG structure with four slots at its fringe is designed to enhance the gain of MIMO antenna. The bandwidth (return loss > 10 dB) of the proposed antenna is from 5.70 to 5.93 GHz, and the peak gain is 5.45 dBi. The isolation between the ports of adjacent antenna elements can be as small as less than -20 dB. The dual-polarized MIMO antenna with EBG has a compact volume of 44.5×77.5×1.6 mm3 and canbe suitable for 5.8 GHz WLAN application.
2. Row, J. S., S. H. Yeh, and K. L. Wong, "Compact dual-polarized microstrip antennas," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 27, No. 4, 284-287, Nov. 2000.
3. Gosalia, K. and G. Lazzi, "Reduced size, dual-polarized microstrip patch antenna for wireless Communications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas Propagation, Vol. 51, No. 9, 2182-2186, Sep. 2003.
4. Moradi, K. and S. Nikmehr, "A dual-band dual-polarized microstrip array antenna for base stations," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 123, 527-541, 2012.
5. Jensen, M. A. and J. W. Wallace, "A review of antennas and propagation for MIMO wireless ommunications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas Propagation, Vol. 52, No. 11, 2810-2824, Nov. 2004.
6. Browne, D. W., M. Manteghi, M. P. Fitz, and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Experiments with compact antenna arrays for MIMO radio communications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas Propagation, Vol. 54, No. 11, 3239-3250, Nov. 2006.
7. Li, W., W. Lin, and G. Yang, "A compact MIMO antenna system design with low correlation from 1710 MHz to 2690 MHz," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 144, 59-65, 2014.
8. Sievenpiper, D., L. Zhang, R. Broas, N. Alexopolous, and E. Yablonovitch, "High-impedance electromagnetic surfaces with a forbidden frequency band," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 47, No. 11, 2059-2074, Nov. 1999.
9. Broas, R. F. J., D. F. Sievenpiper, and E. Yablonovitch, "A high-impedance ground plane applied to a cellphone handset geometry," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 49, No. 7, 1262-1265, Jul. 2001.
10. Liang, J. and H.-Y. D. Yang, "Microstrip patch antennas on tunable electromagnetic band-gap substrates," IEEE Transactions on Antennas Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 6, 1612-1617, Jun. 2009.
11. Foroozesh, A. and L. Shafai, "Application of combined electric-and magnetic-conductor ground planes for antenna performance enhancement," Canadian Journal of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Vol. 33, No. 2, 87-98, Spring 2008.
12. Yang, F. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Microstrip antennas integrated with electromagnetic band-gap (EBG) structures: A low mutual coupling design for array applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas Propagation, Vol. 51, No. 10, 2936-2946, Oct. 2003.
13. Islam, M. T. and M. S. Alam, "Compact EBG structure for alleviating mutual coupling between patch antenna array elements," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 137, 425-438, 2013.