An omnidirectional low-profile multiband antenna is designed and fabricated for vehicular telecommunication applications. The fabricated antenna with a radiator patch size of 0.26λL×0.3λL has a low-profile of 0.022λL and shows multiple resonant frequencies at 1.14, 1.91, and 2.45 GHz. Omnidirectional radiation patterns in the azimuth plane and vertical polarization at all operating frequency bands were obtained. Antenna gains greater than 1.7 dBi were obtained at the three operating frequencies, and the antenna height is 6 mm. Therefore, the proposed antenna is applicable to the vehicular telecommunication system.
2. Liao, D. and K. Sarabandi, "Terminal-to-terminal hybrid full-wave simulation of low-profile, electrically small, near-ground antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, 806-814, 2008.
3. Moon, H., G.-Y. Lee, C.-C. Chen, and J. L. Volakis, "An extremely low-profile ferrite-loaded wideband VHF antenna design," IEEE Antenn. Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 11, 322-325, 2012.
4. Puente-Baliarda, C., J. Romeu, R. Pous, and A. Cardama, "On the behavior of the Sierpinski multiband fractal antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 46, 517-528, 1998.
5. Puente-Baliarda, C., J. Romeu, and A. Cardama, "The Koch monopole: A small fractal antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 48, 1773-1781, 2000.
6. Delaveaud, C., P. Leveque, and B. Jecko, "New kind of microstrip antenna: The monopolar wire-patch antenna," Electron. Lett., Vol. 30, 1-2, 1994.
7. Lau, K.-L., P. Li, and K.-M. Luk, "A monopolar patch antenna with very wide impedance bandwidth," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 53, 1004-1010, 2005.
8. Lau, K.-L. and K. M. Luk, "A wide-band monopolar wire-patch antenna for indoor base station applications," IEEE Antenn. Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 4, 155-157, 2005.
9. Zheng, S.-F., Y.-Z. Yin, X.-S. Ren, Z.-Y. Liu, and L. Kang, "A wide band low-profile monopolar patch antenna," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 53, 28-32, 2011.
10. Baek, S. and S. Lim, "Low-profile planar roof-mounted vehicle antenna for monopole vertical polarization reception," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 54, 91-94, 2012.
11. Seaus, J. P., A. Reineix, and B. Jecko, "Susceptibilite aux impulsions electromagnetiques parasites des antennas plaquees sur substrat dielectrique," Annales des Telecommunications, Vol. 45, 3-4, 1990.
12. Lee, J., Y.-K. Hong, W. Lee, G. S. Abo, J. Park, W.-M. Seong, and S. Bae, "Role of small permeability in gigahertz ferrite antenna performance," IEEE Magn. Lett., Vol. 4, 5000104, 2013.
13. Oh, J. and K. Sarabandi, "Low profile vertically polarized omnidirectional wideband antenna with capacitive parasitic elements," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 62, 977-982, 2014.