This paper presents a new compact end-fire antenna for ultra-high frequency (UHF) radio frequency identification (RFID) applications. The antenna has two meandered dipole drivers. A folded reflector and a rectangular reflector are demonstrated. The advantage of the end-fire antenna with meander dipole drivers compared to the conventional quasi-Yagi antenna is a reduction in the length of the driver, which allows closer space for RFID reader. The end-fire antenna is fabricated on a FR4 printed circuit board (PCB), the dimension of the antenna is 81×58 mm2. The measured bandwidth is around 25 MHz (905-930 MHz) under the condition of VSWR less than 2. The maximum gain of the end-fire antenna is 3.2 dB. The advantages of the new antenna element are that it is more compact than conventional design and it is suitable for fabrication on low-cost, low dielectric constant materials. The antenna configuration, design, simulated and measured results have been well discussed. A good agreement is obtained between the simulated and experimental results. This new compact end-fire antenna is desirable for RFID reader applications.
2. Kim, D.-Y., J.-G. Yook, H.-G Yoon, and B.-J. Jang, "Interference analysis of UHF RFID systems," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 4, 115-126, 2008.
3. Fan, Z., S. Qiao, J. T. Huang-Fu, and L.-X. Ran, "Signal descriptions and formulations for long range UHF RFID readers," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 71, 109-127, 2007.
4. Zhang, M., Y. Chen, Y. Jiao, and F. Zhang, "Dual circularly polarized antenna of compact structure for RFID application," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 14, 1895-1902, 2006.
5. Xu, Z. and X. Li, "Aperture coupling two-layered dual-band RFID reader antenna design," IEEE International Conference on Microwave and Millimeter Wave Technology, Apr. 2008.
6. Zhang, L. and Z. Wang, "Integration of RFID into wireless sensor networks: Architectures, opportunities and challenging problems," IEEE Proceeding of the Fifth International Conference on Grid and Cooperative Computing Workshops (GCCW), 463-469, 2006.
7. Chen, Z. N., X. Qing, and H. L. Chung, "A universal UHF RFID reader antenna," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 57, No. 5, 1275-1282, May 2009.
8. Nasimuddin, Z. N. Chen and X. Qing, "Asymmetric-circular shaped slotted microstrip antennas for circular polarization and RFID applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 12, 3821-3828, Dec. 2010.
9. Huang, J., M. Bialkowski, and , "Investigations of an aperture coupled microstrip Yagi antenna using PBG structure," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 39, No. 7, 1024-1030, Jul. 1991.
10. Gray, D., J. Lu, and D. Thiel, "Electronically steerable Yagi-Uda microstrip antenna array," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 46, No. 5, 605-608, May 1998.
11. Chen, X., G. Fu, S.-X. Gong, J. Chen, and X. Li, "A novel double-layer microstrip antenna array for UHF and RFID," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 11–12, 1479-1487, 2009.
12. Kwa, H. W., X. Qing, and Z. N. Chen, "Broadband single-fed single-patch circularly polarized antenna for UHF RFID applications," Proc. IEEE AP-S Int. Symp., 1-4, San Diego, CA, 2008.
13. Ng, W. W. Y., Y.-S. Qiao, L. Lin, H.-L. Ding, P. P. K. Chan, and D. S. Yeung, "Intelligent book positioning for library using RFID and book spine matching," Machine Learning and Cybernetics (ICMLC), Vol. 2, 465-470, 2011.
14. Leong, , K. M. K. H., Y. Qian, and T. Itoh, "Surface wave enhanced broadband planar antenna for wireless applications," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 11, No. 2, 62-64, Feb. 2001.
15. Nikitin, P. V., K. V. S. Rao, S. F. Lam, V. Pillai, R. Martinez, and H. Heinrich, "Power reflection coefficient analysis for complex impedances in RFID tag design," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 53, No. 9, 2721-2725, Sep. 2005.
16. Occhiuzzi, C., S. Cippitelli, and G. Marrocco, "Modeling, design and experimentation of wearable RFID sensor tag," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 8, 2490-2498, Aug. 2010.
17. Amin, Y., Q. Chen, H. Tenhunen, and L.-R. Zheng, "Performance-optimized quadrate bowtie RFID antennas for cost-effective and eco-friendly industrial applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 126, 49-64, 2012.
18. Wang, Z., S. Fang, S. Fu, and S. Jia, "Single-fed broadband circulary polarized stacked patch antenna with horizontally meandered strip for universal UHF RFID applications," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 59, No. 4, 1066-1073, May 2011.
19. Panda, J. R. and R. S. Kshetrimayum, "A printed 2.4GHz/5.8GHz dual-band monopole antenna with a protruding stub in the ground plane for WLAN and RFID applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 117, 425-434, 2011.
20. Zhao, X., L. Zhao, and K. Huang, "A circularly polarized array composed of linear polarized microstrip patches fed by metamaterial transmission line," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 11–12, 1545-1553, 2011.
21. Evizal, A. K., T. A. Rahman, S. K. B. A. Rahim, and M. F. B. Jamlos, "A multi band mini printed omni directional antenna with V-shaped for RFID applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 27, 385-399, 2011.
22. Chung, K. L. and A. S. Mohan, "A systematic design method to obtain broadband characteristics for singly-fed electromagnetically coupled patch antennas for circular polarization," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 51, No. 12, 3239-3248, Dec. 2003.
23. Tiang, J.-J., M. T. Islam, N. Misram, and J. S. Mandeep, "Circular microstrip slot antenna for dual-frequency RFID application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 120, 499-512, 2011.
24. Grajek, P. R., B. Schoenlinner, and G. M. Rebeiz, "24-GHz high-gain Yagi-Uda antenna array," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 52, No. 5, 1257-1261, May 2004.
25. Dejean, G. R. and M. M. Tentzeris, "A new high-gain microstrip Yagi array antenna with a high front-to-back (F/B) ratio for WLAN and millimeter-wave applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 2, 298-304, Feb. 2007.
26. Lin, M. H. and C. W. Chiu, "Human-body effects on the design of card-type UHF RFID tag antennas," Proc. IEEE Symposium on Antennas and Propagation, 521-524, 2011.
27. Bashri, M. S. R., M. I. Ibrahimy, and S. M. A. Motakabber, "Design and development of a compact wideband C-shaped patch antenna for UHF RFID tag," Research Journal of Applied Sciences, Research Journal of Applied Sciences, Vol. 12, No. 6, 2118-2126, Jul. 2013.
28. Zhang, J. and K. Huang, "A novel tree-shaped antenna with wideband and end-fire properties designed by competitive algorithm of simulating natural tree growth," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 20, No. 3, 342-346, May 2010.
29. Yao, G., et al., "The research of plate end-fire antenna," Chinese Journal of Radio Science, Vol. 24, No. 2, 323-326, 2009 (in Chinese).
30. HFSS, ANSYS, "3-D electromagnetic simulation software,", ANSYS Corp., Pittsburgh, PA.
31. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design, 2nd Edition, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York, 1997.