A compact microstrip notched ultrawideband patch antenna (UWB) with inverted E- and F-shaped slots is presented. By introducing a new inverted E-shaped notch in the radiating plane, band-notch about 2.68 to 3.55 GHz is achieved. A new type of Defected Ground Structure (DGS) in the ground plane is employed to extend the lower limit of the bandwidth so as to cover ISM 2.4 GHz WLAN-frequency band. The proposed antenna offers 126% bandwidth overall dimension of 13×17×1.6 mm3. The experiment results indicate that the proposed antenna can meet the requirement for UWB communication with size miniaturization.
1. Adamiuk, G., T. Zwick, and W. Wiesbeck, "UWB antennas for communication systems," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 100, No. 7, 2308-2321, 2012. doi:10.1109/JPROC.2012.2188369
2. Wu, Q., R. Jin, J. Geng, and M. Ding, "Printed omni-directional UWB monopole antenna with very compact size," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, No. 3, 896-899, Mar. 2008. doi:10.1109/TAP.2008.917018
3. Jung, J., W. Choi, and J. Choi, "A small wideband microstrip-fed monopole antenna," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 15, No. 10, 703-705, Oct. 2005. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2005.856834
4. Ma, K., Z. Zhao, J. Wu, M. S. Ellis, and Z.-P. Nie, "A printed vivaldi antenna with improved radiation patterns by using two pairs of eye-shaped slots for UWB applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 148, 63-71, 2014. doi:10.2528/PIER14043003
5. Wu, Z. H., F. Wei, X.-W. Shi, and W.-T. Li, "A compact quad band-notched UWB monople antenna loaded one lateral L-shaped slot," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 139, 303-315, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIER13022714
6. Peng, H., J. Zhao, and B. Wang, "Compact microstrip UWB bandpass filter with triple-notched bands and wide upper stopband," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 144, 185-191, 2014. doi:10.2528/PIER13120409
7. Zivkovic, I. and K. Scheffler, "A new innovative antenna concept for both narrow band and UWB applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 139, 121-131, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIER13031510
8. Fakharian, M. M., P. Rezaei, and A. A. Orouji, "Reconfigurable multiband extended U-slot antenna with switchable polarization for wireless applications," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 57, No. 2, 194-202, Apr. 2015. doi:10.1109/MAP.2015.2414665
9. Fakharian, M. M., P. Rezaei, and A. Azadi, "A planar UWB Bat-shaped monopole antenna with dual band-notched for WiMAX/WLAN/DSRC," Wireless Personal Communications, Vol. 81, No. 2, 881-891, Mar. 2015. doi:10.1007/s11277-014-2162-8
10. Fakharian, M. M. and P. Rezaei, "Very compact palmate leaf-shaped CPW-fed monopole antenna for UWB applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 56, No. 7, 1612-1616, Jul. 2014. doi:10.1002/mop.28395
11. Fakharian, M. M., P. Rezaei, A. Azadi, and M. R. Dadras, "A capacitive fed microstrip patch antenna with air gap for wideband applications," International Journal of Engineering, Transactions B (Application), Vol. 27, No. 5, 715-722, May 2014.
12. Zaker, R., C. Ghobadi, and J. Nourinia, "Novel modified UWB planar monopole antenna with variable frequency band-notch function," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 7, 112-114, 2008. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2008.919621
13. Ojaroudi, M., G. Ghanbari, N. Ojaroudi, and C. Ghobadi, "Small square monopole antenna for UWB applications with variable frequency band-notch function," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 8, 1061-1064, 2009. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2009.2030697
14. Rostamzadeh, M., S. Mohamadi, J. Nourinia, C. Ghobadi, and M. Ojaroudi, "Square monopole antenna for UWB applications with novel rod-shaped parasitic structures and novel V-shaped slots in the ground plane," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, 446-449, 2012. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2012.2193866
15. Abbosh, A. M., "Ultra wideband planar antenna with spurline for subband rejection," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 50, No. 3, 725-728, 2008. doi:10.1002/mop.23205
16. Qu, S. W., J. L. Li, and Q. Xue, "A band-notched ultra wideband printed monopole antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 5, No. 1, 495-498, 2006. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2006.886303
17. Thomas, K. G. and M. A. Sreenivasan, "A simple ultrawideband planar rectangular printed antenna with band dispensation," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 1, 27-34, 2010. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2036279
18. Pourahmadazar, J., C. Ghobadi, J. Nourinia, and H. Shirzad, "Multiband ring fractal monopole antenna for mobile devices," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 9, 863-866, 2010.
19. Li, Y., W. Li, and Q. Ye, "A CPW-fed circular wide-slot UWB antenna with wide tunable and flexible reconfigurable dual notch bands," The Scientific World Journal, Vol. 2013, Article ID 402914, 1-10 2013.
20. Liu, H. and Z. Xu, "Design of UWB monopole antenna with dual notched bands using one modified electromagnetic-bandgap structure," The Scientific World Journal, Vol. 2013, Article ID 917965, 1-9, 2013.
21. Lui, W. J., C. H. Chehg, Y. Cheng, and H. Zhu, "Frequency notched ultra-wideband micro-strip slot antenna with fractal tuning stub," Electronics Letters, Vol. 41, No. 6, 294-296, 2005. doi:10.1049/el:20058420
22. Liu, W. C. and P.-C. Kao, "CPW-fed triangular antenna with a frequency-band notch function for ultra-wide band application," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 48, No. 6, 1032-1035, 2006. doi:10.1002/mop.21592
23. Chung, K., J. Kim, and J. Choi, "Wideband microstrip-fed monopole antenna having frequency band-notch function," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 15, No. 11, 766-768, 2005. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2005.858969
24. Ryu, K. S. and A. A. Kishk, "UWB antenna with single or dual band-notches for lowerWLAN band and upper WLAN band," IEEE Trans on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 12, 3942-3950, 2009. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2027727
25. Rahanandeh, M., A. S. NoorAmin, M. Hosseinzadeh, P. Rezaei, and M. S. Rostami, "A compact elliptical slot antenna for covering Bluetooth/WiMAX/WLAN/ITU," IEEE Antenna and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, 857-860, 2012. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2012.2209109
26. Koohestani, M. and M. Golpour, "Compact rectangular slot antenna with a novel coplanar waveguide fed diamond patch for ultra wideband applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 52, No. 2, 331-334, 2010. doi:10.1002/mop.24899