For the spaceborne synthetic aperture radar (SAR) system, in order to alleviate the complexity of the imaging algorithm and to improve the accuracy of the applications of SAR images, attitude steering is required to reduce the Doppler centroid to 0 Hz. In published literature, two-dimensional attitude steering, including yaw and pitch steering, is employed for elliptic orbiting SAR systems. This paper proposes a new steering approach involving only yaw steering to suppress the Doppler centroid of the mid-range to theoretically 0 Hz with a low residual Doppler centroid at the edge of the range extent. This may reduce the complexity of the attitude control system. The comparison of the performances of the current applied methods and the proposed approach is carried out with a simulation, and the effectiveness of the new approach is validated by the results.
2. Cumming, I. G. and F. H. C. Wong, Digital Processing Of Synthetic Aperture Radar Data: Algorithms and Implementation, Artech House, 2005.
3. Runge, H., "Benefits of antenna yaw steering for SAR," IGARSS’91, 257-261, 1991.
4. Just, D. and B. Schattler, "Doppler-characteristics of the ERS-1 yaw steering mode," International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium, 1992, IGARSS’92, 1349-1352, 1992.
5. Fiedler, H., E. Boerner, J. Mittermayer, and G. Krieger, "Total zero doppler steering --- A new method for minimizing the doppler centroid," IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Letters, Vol. 2, 141-145, 2005.
6. Yu, Z., et al., "A new satellite attitude steering approach for zero Doppler centroid," IET International Radar Conference 2009, 593-593, 2009.
7. Long, T., X. Dong, C. Hu, and T. Zeng, "A new method of zero-doppler centroid control in GEO SAR," IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Letters, Vol. 8, 512-516, 2011.
8. Scharf, D. P., "Analytic Yaw&-Pitch steering for side-looking SAR with numerical roll algorithm for incidence angle," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 50, 3587-3594, 2012.
9. Fiedler, H., E. Boerner, J. Mittermayer, and G. Krieger, "Total zero doppler steering --- A new method for minimizing the doppler centroid," IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Letters, Vol. 2, 141-145, 2005.
10. Fiedler, H., T. Fritz, and R. Kahle, "Verification of the total zero Doppler steering," 2008 International Conference on Radar, 340-342, 2008.
11. Elkoteshy, Y., Y. Shuyuan, and F. Abdelkader, "Attitude error cancellation for strip-map SAR by controlling steering angles of the antenna platform," 2014 11th International Conference on Electrical Engineering/Electronics, Computer, Telecommunications and Information Technology (ECTI-CON), 1-6, 2014.
12. Morabito, A. F., T. Isernia, and D. L. Di, "Optimal synthesis of phase-only reconfigurable linear sparse arrays having uniform-amplitude excitations," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 124, 405-423, 2012.
13. Zhao, B., et al., "An accurate range model based on the fourth-order doppler parameters for geosynchronous SAR," IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Letters, Vol. 11, 205-209, 2014.