In order to collect information for the manufacture and application of a designed dual left-handed material (LHM) structure, the influence of salt spray test on the two conductive composite coatings consisting of silver and copper is contrastively investigated. It is found that the salt spray corrosion test can influence the microstructure of the coated copper and silver layers, leading to the decrease of electrical conductivity of the coated copper and silver layers. As results, the transmission performance of the dual-LHM structure is reduced, while the bandwidth of the dual-LHM structure is broadened. Moreover, at the same conditions, the salt spray corrosion test has less influence on the transmission characteristics of the silver-plated dual-LHM structure than those of copper-plated dual-LHM structure.
2. Smith, D. R., et al., "Composite medium with simultaneously negative permeability and permittivity," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 84, 4184-4187, 2000.
3. Pendry, J. B., "Negative refraction makes a perfect lens," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 85, 3966-3969, 2000.
4. Eleftherades, G. V., "A generalized negative-refractive-index transmission-line (NRI-TL) metamaterial for dual-band and quad-band applications," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 17, 415-417, 2007.
5. Eleftherades, G. V. and O. F. Siddiqui, "Negative refraction and focusing in hyperbolic transmission-line periodic grids," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory and Tech., Vol. 53, 369-603, 2005.
6. Eleftherades, G. V., M. A. Antoniades, and F. Qureshi, "Antenna applications of negative-refractive-index transmission-line structures," IET Microw. Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 1, 12-22, 2007.
7. Jie, M. A., "Application study of corrosion detection used in the result judgment of salt spray corrosion test," New Technology and New Process, Vol. 8, 98-100, 2010.
8. Sanz, V., et al., "Balanced right/left-handed coplanar waveguide with stub-loaded split-ring resonators," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 13, 193-196, 2014.
9. Falcone, F., et al., "Effective negative-ε stop-band microstrip lines based on complementary split-ring resonators," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 14, 280-282, 2004.
10. Ahn, D., et al., "A design of the low-pass filter using the novel using the novel microstrip defected ground structure," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory and Tech., Vol. 49, 86-93, 2001.
11. Ripin, N., et al., "Enhancement of bandwidth through I-shaped defected ground structure," IEEE International RF and Microwave Conference (RFM), 477-481, Penang, 2013.
12. Brooks, C. R. and B. L. Mcgill, "The application of scanning electron microscopy to fractography," Materials Characterization, Vol. 33, 195-243, 1994.