This paper presents a design of wideband and low-profile linear array of H-plane horn antennas. In order to construct the linear array in H-plane, the aperture size of the horn antenna in the H-plane should be comparable with one wavelength in the free space, which leads to a poor impedance matching especially in the lower frequency range. The approach to the problem is removing the side walls of the flare part of the antennas. The array is fed by a wideband 4-way ridged SIW power divider. The designed array operates from 5.6 GHz to 18 GHz for VSWR 2.5 and exhibits stable radiation beam with a narrow beam-width in H plane over the same frequency rang while retaining the antenna array height of only 4 mm (0.17λ0 at the center frequency). The designed array is fabricated and tested. It is observed that measured results agree well with simulated ones.
2. Mallahzadeh, A. R. and S. Esfandiarpour, "Wideband H-plane horn antenna based on ridge substrated integrated waveguide (RSIW)," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 11, 85-88, 2012.
3. Morote, M. E., B. Fuchs, J.-F. Zurcher, and J. R. Mosig, "Novel thin and compact H-plane SIW horn antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 61, No. 6, 2911-2920, Jun. 2013.
4. Mousavi, P., et al., "A low-cost ultra-low profile phased array system for mobile satellite reception using zero-knowledge beam forming algorithm," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, No. 12, 3667-3679, Dec. 2008.
5. Bayrakter, O. and O. A. Civi, "Circumferential traveling wave slot array on cylinder substrate integrated waveguide (CSIW)," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 62, No. 7, 3557-3566, Jul. 2014.
6. Azadegan, R., "A Ku-band planar antenna array for mobile satellite TV reception with linear polarization ," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag.IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 58, No. 6, 2097-2101, Jun. 2010.
7. Shahabadi, M., D. Busuioc, A. Borji, and S. Safavi-Naeini, "Low-cost, high-efficiency quasi-planar array of waveguide-fed circularly polarized microstrip antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 53, No. 6, 2036-2043, Jul. 2005.
8. Yang, L., W. Tan, Z. Shen, and W. Wu, "Wide-band widecoverage linear array of four semi-circular sector horns," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, No. 8, 3980-3984, Aug. 2012.
9. Bilgic, M. M. and K. Yegin, "Low profile wideband antenna array with hybrid microstrip and waveguide feed network for Ku band satellite reception systems," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 62, No. 4, 2258-2263, Apr. 2014.
10. Li, M. J. and K. M. Luk, "A low-profile unidirectional printed antenna for millimeter-wave applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 62, No. 3, 1232-1237, Mar. 2014.
11. Yousefbeiki, M., A. A. Domenech, J. R. Mosig, and C. A. Fernandes, "Ku-band dielectric-loaded SIW horn for vertically-polarized multi-sector antennas," Proc. 6th Eur. Conf. Antennas and Propagation (EUCAP), 2367-2371, Mar. 2012.
12. Wang, H., D.-G. Fang, B. Zhang, and W.-Q. Che, "Dielectric loaded substrate integrated waveguide (SIW) H-plane horn antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 58, No. 3, 640-647, Mar. 2010.
13. Zhao, Y., Z. Shen, and W. Wu, "Wideband and low-profile H-plane ridged SIW horn antenna mounted on a large conducting plane," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 62, No. 11, 5895-5900, Nov. 2014.
14. Volakis, J. L., Antenna Engineering Handbook, 4th Ed., McGraw-Hill, New York, NY, USA, 2007.
15. Tsao, H.-Y., D.-H. Yang, J.-C. Cheng, J. S. Fu, and W.-P. Lin, "W-band SIW H-plane horn antenna development," 4th International High Speed Intelligent Communication Forum (HSIC), 1-3, Mar. 2012.
16. Razavi, S. A. and M. H. Neshati, "Low profile H-plane horn antenna based on half mode substrate integrated waveguide technique," Proc. 20th Iranian Conf. on Electrical Engineering, 1351-1354, May 15-17, 2012.
17. Chen, Z. and Z. Shen, "Broadband and low-profile H-plane ridged horn antenna," Proc. IEEE International Sym. on Antennas and Propag. & USNC/URSI National Radio Science Meeting, 2319-2320, Jul. 19-24, 2015.