By introducing the Wilkinson divider and dual L-shaped strips as a feeding network, broadband design of planar circularly polarized (CP) annual-ring antenna for ultra-high frequency (UHF) RFID system is proposed and experimentally studied. The proposed broadband CP antenna can provide the impedance bandwidth (RL≥10 dB) of about 246 MHz (25.0% @ 985 MHz) and the 3 dB axial-ratio (AR) bandwidth of about 180 MHz (19.5% @ 925 MHz) to meet the worldwide UHF RFID band (860~960 MHz). Meanwhile, with unidirectional pattern in the XZ- and YZ-planes, the measured peak gain and radiation efficiency are about 7.7 dBic and 70% across the operating band, respectively.
2. Chen, Z. N., X. Qing, and H. L. Chung, "A universal UHF RFID reader antenna," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 57, 1275-1282, May 2009.
3. Wang, Z., S. Fang, S. Fu, and S. Jia, "Single-fed broadband circularly polarize d stacked patch antenna with horizontally meandered strip for universal UHF RFID applications," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 59, 1066-1073, April 2011.
4. Chang, T. N. and J. M. Lin, "A novel circularly polarized patch antenna with a serial multislot type of loading," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 55, 3345-3348, Nov. 2007.
5. Chen, Z. N. and X. Qing, "Asymmetric-circular shaped slotted microstrip antennas for circular polarization and RFID applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 58, 3821-3828, December 2010.
6. Wen, G. C. and P. Wang, "Application of UHF RFID band high gain, low axial ratio of the circularly polarized antenna,", CN102916243B, December 21, 2016.
7. Greeff, R., D. K. Ovard, and D. Khatri, "Right and left hand circularly polarized RFID backscatter antenna,", US6255993 B1, July 03, 2001.
8. Chen, S. L., C. T. Lin, H. L. Su, and W. C. Hung, "Circularly polarized antenna,", Taiwan I518989, January 21, 2016.
9. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, John Wiley & Sons Ltd, 1998.
10., , http://www.ansys.com/Products/Electronics/ANSYS+HFSS.
11. IEEE Standard Test Procedures for Antennas: ANSI/IEEE-STD149-1979, , Sec. 12-13, 94-112.
12. Toh, B. Y., R. Cahill, and V. F. Fusco, "Understanding and measuring circular polarization," IEEE Trans. Edu., Vol. 46, 313-318, August 2003.
13. Huang, Y. and K. Boyle, Antennas from Theory to Practice, 124, John Wiley & Sons Ltd, 2008.