In this article, a pair of T-shaped stepped-impedance-stubs plays a key role in the structure of a Wilkinson power divider. In the first step, to find a general relation between electrical lengths and characteristic impedances of the mentioned stubs and consequently how the operating frequency can be chosen, an equation based on a mathematical analysis is obtained. Then, by using this equation several miniaturized Wilkinson power dividers with the same configurations at different operating frequencies and capable of suppressing spurious frequencies are designed. Moreover, in each of these circuits 2nd to 16th unwanted frequencies are suppressed. The simulation results of the designed dividers are in good agreement with the expected responses predicted by the obtained equation. To validate the proposed method, a Wilkinson power divider at 0.85 GHz as a sample is fabricated, and 77.83% size reduction is obtained. Furthermore, the fabricated divider suppresses 3rd to 21st harmonics better than -20 dB.
2. Kim, M. G., J. S. Kim, and R. Mittra, "Modified Wilkinson power divider for suppression of nth harmonics," Electronics Letters, Vol. 48, No. 24, 1540-1542, 2012.
3. Xu, X. and X. Tang, "Design of a compact Wilkinson power divider with high order harmonics suppression," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letter, Vol. 50, 111-116, 2014.
4. Zhou, B., W. X. Sheng, and H. Wang, "Slow-wave effect enhanced branch linepower divider using crossing bond wires," Electronics Letters, Vol. 47, No. 22, 1246-1247, 2011.
5. Lin, C. M., H. H. Su, J. C. Chiu, and Y. H. Wang, "Wilkinson power divider using microstrip EBG cells for the suppression of harmonics," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 17, 700-702, 2007.
6. Zhang, F. and C. F. Li, "Power divider with microstrip electromagnetic bandgap element for miniaturization and harmonic rejection," Electronics Letters, Vol. 44, No. 6, 422-423, 2008.
7. Woo, D. J. and T. L. Lee, "Suppression of harmonics in Wilkinson power divider using dual-band rejection by asymmetric DGS," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 53, No. 6, 2139-2144, 2005.
8. Yang, J., C. Gu, and W. Wu, "Design of novel compact coupled microstrip power divider with harmonic suppression," IEEE Microwave Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 18, No. 9, 572-574, 2008.
9. Kim, J. S., M. J. Park, and K. B. Kong, "Modified design of Wilkinson power divider for harmonic suppression," Electronics Letters, Vol. 45, No. 23, 1174-1175, 2009.
10. Tseng, C. H. and C. H. Wu, "Compact planar Wilkinson power divider using π-equivalent shunt-stub-based artificial transmission lines," Electronics Letters, Vol. 46, No. 19, 1327-1328, 2010.
11. Wang, J., J. Ni, Y. X. Guo, and D. Fang, "Miniaturized microstrip Wilkinson power divider with harmonic suppression," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 19, 440-442, 2009.
12. Packiaraj, D., K. J. Vinoyb, M. Ramesha, and A. T. Kalghatgi, "Design of compact low pass filter with wide stop band using tri-section stepped impedance resonator," AEU --- International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 65, No. 12, 1012-1014, 2011.
13. Gao, S. S., S. Sun, and S. Xiao, "A novel wideband bandpass power divider with harmonic-suppressed ring resonator," IEEE Microwave Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 23, No. 3, 507-509, 2013.
14. Cheng, K. K. M. and W. C. Ip, "A novel power divider design with enhanced spurious suppression and simple structure," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 58, No. 12, 3903-3908, Dec. 2010.