A novel circularly polarised antenna with wide 3 dB axial-ratio beamwidth (ARBW) and half power beamwidth (HPBW) is proposed in this letter. By using two pairs of tilted dipoles, the ARBW of the antenna is significantly enhanced to about 160° and 162° in the XZ- and YZ-planes, respectively. Meanwhile, its HPBW is also broadened to above 116° in the dual planes. A prototype is manufactured and measured to validate the method. The measured results show that |S11|<-10 dB reaches about 38.8% (1.37 GHz-2.03 GHz), and the AR at broadside bandwidth is 14% (1.51 GHz-1.74 GHz). The gain of the antenna also keeps above 4.19 dBic. Meanwhile, acceptable agreements can be obtained between the simulated and measured results. As such, the proposed CP antenna with wide beamwidth can be used in various navigation systems.
1. Duan, X.-D. and R.-L. Li, "A novel center-fed dual-band circularly polarized antenna for GNSS application," Proc. IEEE Antennas Propag. Soc. Int. Symp. (APSURSI), 1015-1016, Memphis, TN, USA, 2014.
2. Tan, T.-S., Y.-L. Xia, and Q. Zhu, "A novel wide beamwidth and circularly polarized microtrip antenna loading annular dielectric superstrate with metal ring," Proc. IEEE Antennas Propag. Soc. Int. Symp. (APSURSI), 1883-1884, Memphis, TN, USA, 2014.
3. Nasimuddin, Y., S. Anjani, and A. Alphones, "A wide-beam circularly polarized asymmetric-microstrip antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 63, No. 8, 3764-3768, 2015. doi:10.1109/TAP.2015.2438397
4. Nasimuddin, N., A. Alphones, and S. Vignesh, "Stubs-integrated-microstrip antenna design for wide coverage of circularly polarized radiation," IET Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 11, No. 4, 44-449, 2017.
5. Luo, Y., Q.-X. Chu, and L. Zhu, "A low-profile wide-beamwidthcircularly-polarized antenna via twopairs of parallel dipoles in a squarecontour," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 63, No. 3, 931-936, Mar. 2015. doi:10.1109/TAP.2014.2387438
6. Liu, N.-W., L. Zhu, and W.-W. Choi, "Low-profile wide-beamwidth circularly-polarised patch antenna on a suspended substrate," IET Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 10, No. 8, 885-890, May 2016. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2016.0081
7. Ng, K. B., C. H. Chan, and K. M. Luk, "Low-cost vertical patch antenna with wide axial-ratio beamwidth for handheld satellite communications terminals," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 63, No. 4, 1417-1424, Apr. 2015. doi:10.1109/TAP.2015.2403314
8. Su, C. W., S. K. Huang, and C. H. Lee, "CP microstrip antenna with wide beamwidth for GPS band application," Electron. Lett., Vol. 43, No. 30, 1-2, Sep. 2007.
9. Luo, Y., Q.-X. Chu, and L. Zhu, "A miniaturized wide-beamwidth circularly polarized planar antenna via two pairs of folded dipoles in a square contour," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 63, No. 8, 3753-3759, Aug. 2015. doi:10.1109/TAP.2015.2438334