In this paper an ultra-wide bandwidth double-layered Vivaldi antenna (DLVA) integrated in Radome housing is proposed. First the conventional Vivaldi antenna is designed with bandwidth extended from 1.8 to 6 GHz at VSWR (3:1). Then for wider bandwidth, two slots are etched in the antenna ground plane to extend the antenna bandwidth from 1.7 to 9 GHz. For more improvement in antenna bandwidth, circular slots as electromagnetic band-gap structure (EBG) are etched to further extend the antenna bandwidth from 1.45 to 10 GHz. For gain enhancement double layers of Vivaldi antenna ground plane are designed with the same feeding line to reach 29 dBi peak. High frequency structure simulator (HFSS) ANSYS is used to design to simulated all the design steps. The proposed antenna is fabricated and measured. Finally, DLVA is integrated inside the Radome to improve the antenna gain and protect the proposed antenna from environmental factors. The antenna is fabricated and tested, and a good agreement between simulated and measured results is found.
1. Bharti, P. K., "High gain Vivaldi antenna for radar and microwave imaging applications," International Journal of Signal Processing Systems, Vol. 3, No. 1, 35-39, 2015.
2. Hood, A. Z., T. Karacolak, and E. Topsakal, "A small antipodal Vivaldi antenna for ultrawide-band applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 7, 656-660, 2008. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2008.921352
3. Ma, T. G. and S. K. Jeng, "A printed dipole antenna with tapered slot feed for ultrawide-band applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 11, 3833-3836, 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2005.858819
4. Acedo, E., E. Garcia, V. Gonzalez-Posadas, J. L. VazquezRoy, R. Maaskant, and D. Segovia, "Study and design of a differentially-fed tapered slot antenna array," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 1, 68-78, 2010. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2036193
5. Yang, Y., Y. Wang, and A. E. Fathy, "Design of compact Vivaldi antenna arrays for UWB see through wall applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 82, 401-418, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08040601
6. Alhawari, A. R., A. I. Smail, M. A. Mahdi, and R. S. A. R. Abdullah, "Antipodal Vivaldi antenna performance booster exploiting snug-in negative index metamaterial," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 27, 265-279, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIERC12012906
7. Bayat, A. and R. Mirzakhani, "A parametric study and design of the balanced antipodal Vivaldi antenna (BAVA)," PIERS Proceedings, 778-782, Moscow, Russia, August 19-23, 2012.
8. Agahi, M. H. H., H. L. Abiri, and F. Mohajeri, "Investigation of a new idea for antipodal Vivaldi antenna design," International Journal of Computer and Electrical Engineering, Vol. 3, No. 2, 1793-8163, 2011.
9. Narbudowicz, A., M. John, and X. Bao, "Vivaldi array for generation of UWB circular polarization," IEE Anten. and Propagat. Society International Symposium (APSURSI), Chicago, IL, USA, 2012.
10. Bourqui, J., M. Okoniewski, and E. C. Fear, "Balanced antipodal Vivaldi antenna with dielectric director for near-field microwave imaging," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 7, 2318-2326, 2010. doi:10.1109/TAP.2010.2048844
11. Mehdipour, A., K. Mohammadpour-Aghdam, and R. Faraji-Dana, "Complete dispersion analysis of Vivaldi antenna for ultra wideband applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 77, 85-96, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07072904
12. Deng, C., W. Chen, Z. Zhang, L. Yue, and Z. Feng, "Generation of OAM radio waves using circular Vivaldi antenna array," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2013, 1-8, 2013.
13. Bitchikh, M. and F. Ghanem, "A four bandwidth-resolution UWB antipodal Vivaldi antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 53, 121-129, 2017. doi:10.2528/PIERM16111602
14. Etesami, F., S. Khorshidi, S. Shahcheraghi, and A. Yahaghi, "Improvement of radiation characteristics of balanced antipodal Vivaldi antenna using transformation optics," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 56, 189-196, 2017. doi:10.2528/PIERM17013102
15. Liu, C., A. Yan, C. Yu, and T. Xu, "Improvement on a 2×2 elements high-gain circularly polarized antenna array," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2015, 1-8, 2015.
16. Saraereh, O. A., "A multiband and omnidirectional, CPW-fed single-layer based dual tapered-slot antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 70, 183-191, 2016. doi:10.2528/PIERC16112211