A broadband ultra-high-frequency (UHF) Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) antenna using double-tuned impedance matching theory is proposed. This paper presents a proximity coupled vertical meandered strip feed technique based on double-tuned impedance match which results in a wide bandwidth. This antenna mainly consists of a rectangular ground plane, a U-shaped radiation patch, and a suspended vertical meandered strip (VMS) by mesas of rotated г-shaped strip. The U-shaped radiation patch is fed by the VMS. The simulated and measured results show that the antenna has a very wide impedance matching bandwidth of 150MHz (820-970 MHz) or 16.8% with the voltage standing wave ration (VSWR) less than 1.5 and achieves a high gain level about 8.5 dBi. Therefore, the proposed antenna can cover the entire UHF band of 840-960 MHz and is a good candidate for universal UHF RFID applications.
2. Paredes, F., G. Zamora, S. Zuffanelli, and J. Herraiz-Martinez, "Free-space and on metal dual-band tag for UHF-RFID applications in Europe and USA," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 141, 577-590, 2013.
3. Loo, C.-H., K. Elmahgoub, F. Yang, A. Z. Elseherbeni, D. Kajfez, A. A. Kishk, T. Elseherbeni, L. Ukkonen, L. Sydanheimo, M. Kivikoski, and S. Me, "Chip impedance matching for UHF RFID tag antenna design," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 81, 359-370, 2008.
4. Kim, M. and K. Kim, "Automated RFID-based identification system for steel coils," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 131, 1-17, 2012.
5. Wang, Z.-B., S.-J. Fang, and S.-Q. Fu, "Single-fed broadband circularly polarized stacked patch antenna with horizontally meandered strip for universal UHF RFID applications," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 59, 1066-1073, 2011.
6. Chen, Z.-N., X.-M. Qing, and H. Chung, "A universal UHF RFID reader antenna," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 57, 1275-1282, 2009.
7. Huang, G.-L., C.-Y. Sim, C.-W. Lin, and M.-J. Gao, "Low-profile UHF RFID reader antenna with CP radiation and coupled feeding technique," International Journal of RF & Microwave Computeraided Engineering, Vol. 11, 819-828, 2016.
8. Tang, J.-J., M.-T. Islam, N. Misran, and J.-S. Mandeep, "Circular micro-strip slot antenna for dual-frequency RFID application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 120, 499-512, 2011.
9. Chen, A., T. Jiang, Z. Chen, and D. Su, "A novel low-profile wideband UHF antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 121, 75-88, 2011.
10. Chakravarty, T. and S.-M. Roy, "A novel micro-strip patch antenna with large impedance bandwidth in VHF/UHF range," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 54, 83-93, 2005.
11. Garg, R., P. Bhartia, I. Bahl, and A. Ittipiboon, Micro-strip Antenna Design Handbook, Artech House, Boston, MA, USA, 2000.
12. Pan, Y., L. Zheng, H.-J. Liu, and R.-L. Li, "Directly-fed single-layer wideband RFID reader antenna," Electron. Lett.,, Vol. 48, 607-608, 2012.
13. Ge, L., C.-Y. Sim, C.-W. Lin, and T.-A. Chen, "Eccentric annular slot patch antenna with frequency agility for UHF RFID reader applications," International Journal of RF & Microwave Computer-aided Engineering, Vol. 4, 1-9, 2016.
14. Nasimuddin, X. Q. and Z.-N. Chen, "A wideband circularly polarized stacked slotted microstrip patch antenna," IEEE Antennas & Propagation Magazine, Vol. 6, 84-99, 2014.
15. Boo, Y.-S., Nasimuddin, Z.-N. Chen, and A. Alphones, "Broadband circularly polarized microstrip antenna for RFID reader applications," 2009 IEEE Asia Pacific Microwave Conference (APMC), 625-628, 2009.