This paper presents an electrically small, low-profile and ultra-wideband antenna with monopole-like radiation type. The antenna is composed of a top-loading hat and two tapered radiation patches on the crossed substrates shorted to the ground. Introducing two tapered radiation patches with the meander loop traces allows for achieving ultra-wideband operation and very low profile simultaneously. In addition, two columns of metal via-holes nested in the crossed substrates can broaden the bandwidth further. The proposed antenna is simulated, fabricated and measured. The measured and simulated results show good agreement and indicate that a measured VSWR lower than 2.0 over 632-3907 MHz (a 144% relative bandwidth) can be accomplished. The antenna has a low profile (0.053 λmin) in height and occupies a small circle of radius 0.078 λmin, where λmin is the free-space wavelength at the lowest frequency. The antenna has a kmin a = 0.59, where kmin is the wavenumber at the lowest frequency of operation. The frequency band covers LTE (0.7 GHz), BDS (1.268 GHz), GPS (1.575 GHz), WIFI (2.5 GHz) and WIMAX (3.5 GHz).
2. Moon, H., G.-Y. Lee, C.-C. Chen, and J. L. Volakis, "An extremely low profile ferrite-loaded wideband VHF antenna design," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, 322-325, 2012.
3. Chen, H.-D., H.-M. Chen, and W.-S. Chen, "Planar CPW-fed sleeve monopole antenna for ultra-wideband operation," IEEE Transaction on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 152, No. 6, Dec. 2005.
4. Chen, N.-W. and Y.-C. Liang, "An ultra-wideband, coplanar-waveguide fed circular monopole antenna with improved radiation characteristics," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 9, 193-207, 2009.
5. Sugimoto, S. and H. Iwasaki, "Wide band planer monopole antenna with asymmetric parasitic elements," IEEE Conference Publication, 1-4, 2010.
6. Hua, C., Y.-L. Lu, and T. J. Liu, "UWB heart-shaped planar monopole antenna with a reconfigurable notched band," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 65, 123-130, 2017.
7. Amin, S. M., M. H. Abadi, and N. Behdad, "An electrically small, vertically polarized ultra-wideband antenna with monopole-like radiation characteristics," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 13, 2014.
8. Ghaemi, K. and N. Behdad, "A low profile, vertically polarized ultra wide band antenna with monopole-like radiation characteristics," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 63, No. 8, Aug. 2015.
9. Chu, L. J., "Physical limitations of omni-directional antennas," Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 19, 1163, 1948.
10. Behdad, N. and K. Sarabandi, "A compact antenna for ultra-wideband applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 7, Jul. 2005.
11. Zhou, S., J. Ma, J. Deng, and Q. Liu, "A low-profile and broadband conical antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 7, 97-103, 2009.
12. Oh, J. and K. Sarabandi, "Ultra-wideband, miniaturized, low profile, omnidirectional antenna using a novel reactive loading approach," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium (APSURSI), 2012.
13. Yang, L., Z.-Y. Zhang, G. Fu, Y.-X. Zhang, and Y. Li, "A novel low-profile quadripod kettle antenna with enhanced bandwidth," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 144, 241-247, 2014.
14. Luo, D., X. Zhou, J. Li, and X. Xuan, "A novel low profile UWB monopole antenna," 2016 Progress In Electromagnetic Research Symposium (PIERS), Shanghai, China, Aug. 8-11, 2016.
15. Nakano, H., H. Iwaoka, K. Morishita, and J. Yamauchi, "A wideband low-profile antenna composed of a conducting body of revolution and a shorted parasitic ring," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 56, No. 4, Apr. 2008.
16. Zurcher, J.-F., "A vertically polarized antenna with 90% bandwidth," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 55, No. 3, Mar. 2013.
17. Koohestani, M., J.-F. Zurcher, A. A. Moreira, and A. K. Skrivervik, "A novel, low-profile, vertically-olarized UWB antenna for WBAN," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 62, No. 4, Apr. 2014.
18. Nguyen-Trong, N., A. Piotrowski, T. Kaufmann, and C. Fumeaux, "Low-profile wideband monopole UHF antennas for integration onto vehicles and helmets," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 64, No. 6, Jun. 2016.
19. Li, M. and N. Behdad, "A compact, capacitively fed UWB antenna with monopole-like radiation characteristics," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 65, No. 3, Mar. 2017.
20. Elsherbini, A. and K. Sarabandi, "Very low-profile top-loaded UWB coupled sectorial loops antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 10, 2011.