This article presents a new method for studying the near-field electromagnetic interaction between a dielectric filled open ended circular waveguide (OECW) and a layered dielectric structure. The proposed model is based on plane wave spectrum theory using a novel and computationally efficient two step integration method. The first integral, involving multiple singularities in the integration path, is efficiently solved using a deformed elliptical integration path which encircles the singularities of the integral. The infinite domain tail integral involving the slowly converging integrand is further solved using an efficient trigonometric transformation. The proposed OECW based method is capable of determining the unknown material properties of any layered dielectric medium, and hence finds application in nondestructive evaluation of materials.
2. Augustine, R., D. G. Kurup, S. Redzwan, P. Mathur, S. Raman, D. Lee, and K. Kim, "Microwave reflectivity analysis of bone mineral density using ultra wide band antenna," Microwave Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 59, 21-26, 2017.
3. Hyde, M. W. and M. J. Havrilla, "clamped dual-ridged waveguide measurement system for the broadband, nondestructive characterization of sheet materials," Radio Science, Vol. 48, No. 5, 628-637, 2013.
4. Ramzi, M. R., M. Abou-Khousa, and I. Prayudi, "Near-field Microwave Imaging Using Open-ended Circular Waveguide Probes," IEEE Sensors Journal, Vol. 17, No. 8, 2359-2366, 2017.
5. Besson, J. C., S. Mamane, and F. E. Gardiol, "TE11 reflection of open-ended circular waveguides application to nondestructive measurement of materials," 10th European Microwave Conference, 317-321, Warszawa, Poland, 1980.
6. Bailey, M. C. and C. Swift, "Input admittance of a circular waveguide aperture covered by a dielectric slab," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 16, No. 4, 386-391, 1968.
7. Rudduck, R. C. and C. L. Yu, "Circular waveguide method for measuring reflection properties of absorber panels," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 22, No. 2, 251-256, 1974.
8. Yuan, M. and T. K. Sarkar, "Computation of the Sommerfeld integral tails using the matrix pencil method," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 54, No. 4, 1358-1362, Apr. 2006.
9. Gander, W. and W. Gautschi, "Adaptive quadrature-revisited," BIT Numerical Mathematics, Vol. 40, No. 1, 84-101, 2000.
10. Ansys HFSS (High Frequency Simulation Software) V10 User Guide., .
11. Gabriel, C., S. Gabriel, and E. Corthout, "The dielectric properties of biological tissues: I. Literature survey," Physics in Medicine and Biology, Vol. 41, 2231-2249, 1996.
12. Mathur, P., D. G. Kurup, and R. Augustine, "Design of open ended circular waveguide for non-invasive monitoring of cranial healing in pediatric craniosynostosis," First IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Bio Conference (IMBIOC), 1-4, Gothenburg, May 2017.