A small size dielectric image line (DIL)-based leaky wave antenna (LWA) is proposed in this paper. Three H-shaped patches as radiation elements are periodically printed on top surface of DIL, which generates infinite higher order space harmonics, and the proposed antenna works at the first order mode. The H-shaped unit cell has high attenuation constant, which leads to power leaking quickly. So high radiation efficiency can be realized with only 3 unit cells. Simultaneously, the open stopband (OSB) is suppressed using H-shaped unit cells to get high efficiency at broadside. The working principle of the proposed antenna is analyzed, and the numerical results validate the theory analysis. Over the operating band (11.5~14.6 GHz), the proposed antenna covers 71° from -41° to 30° (including the broadside) with stable gain (8.7 dBi~10.6 dBi) varying less than 2 dBi. A prototype is fabricated and measured, which have good agreement with simulation results.
2. Johnson, R. C. and H. Jasik, Antenna Engineering Handbook, 3rd Ed., McGraw-Hill, New York, USA, 1993.
3. Yang, G. W., J. Y. Li, D. J. Wei, and R. Xu, "Study on wide-angle scanning linear phased array antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 66, 450-455, 2018.
4. Jackson, D. R., C. Caloz, and T. Itoh, "Leaky-wave antennas," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 100, 2194-2206, 2012.
5. Mallahzadeh, A. and S. Mohammad-Ali-Nezhad, "Long slot ridged SIW leaky wave antenna design using transverse equivalent technique," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 62, 5445-5452, 2014.
6. Liu, J., D. R. Jackson, and Y. Long, "Substrate integrated waveguide (SIW) leaky-wave antenna with transverse slots," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, 20-29, 2012.
7. Lyu, Y. L., et al., "Leaky-wave antennas based on noncutoff substrate integrated waveguide supporting beam scanning from backward to forward," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 64, 2155-2164, 2016.
8. Prasad, C. S. and A. Biswas, "Dielectric image line-based leaky-wave antenna for wide range of beam scanning through broadside," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 65, 4311-4315, 2017.
9. Nasimuddin, Z. N. Chen and X. Qing, "Multilayered composite right/left-handed leaky-wave antenna with consistent gain," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, 5056-5062, 2012.
10. Dong, Y. and T. Itoh, "Composite right/left-handed substrate integrated waveguide and half mode substrate integrated waveguide leaky-wave structures," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 59, 767-775, 2011.
11. Kodera, T. and C. Caloz, "Uniform ferrite-loaded open waveguide structure with CRLH response and its application to a novel backfire-to-endfire leaky-wave antenna," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 57, 784-795, 2009.
12. Mohammad, M. and G. V. Eleftheriades, "Dirac leaky-wave antennas for continuous beam scanning from photonic crystals," Nature Communications, Vol. 6, 5855, 2015.
13. Agrawal, R., P. Belwal, M. Singh, and S. C. Gupta, "Continuous beam scanning in substrate integrated waveguide leaky wave antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 62, 19-28, 2017.
14. Tang, X. L., Q. F. Zhang, S. Hu, Y. Q. Zhuang, A. Kandwal, G. Zhang, and Y. F. Chen, "Continuous beam steering through broadside using asymmetrically modulated Goubau line leaky-wave antennas," Scientific Reports, Vol. 7, No. 1, 11685, 2017.
15. Prasad, C. S. and A. Biswas, "Broadband planar transition to dielectric iage line by substrate truncated microstrip line for millimeter-wave circuit integration," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 27, 533-535, 2017.
16. Solbach, K. and B. Adelseck, "Dielectric image line leaky wave antenna for broadside radiation," Electronics Letters, Vol. 19, 640-641, 1983.
17. Prasad, C. S. and A. Biswas, "Dielectric image line-based leaky-wave antenna for wide range of beam scanning through broadside," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 65, 4311-4315, 2017.
18. Li, M. Y., S. Kanamaluru, and K. Chang, "Aperture coupled beam steering microstrip antenna array fed by dielectric image line," Electronics Letters, Vol. 30, 1105-1106, 1994.