A low computational complexity direction of departure (DOD) and direction of arrival (DOA) estimation method is derived for bistatic multiple-input multiple-output (MIMO) radar. In this method, we propose a novel bistatic MIMO radar geometry with one transmit array and two subarrays at the receive array, based on which the cross-correlation matrix is constructed. The DODs and DOAs can be estimated without eigendecomposition, thereby signicantly reduce computational burden. Moreover, the DODs and DOAs can be paired automatically. Simulation results verify that the proposed method holds better performance than the unitary estimation of signal parameters via rotational invariance technique and joint diagonalization direction matrix method.
1. Bliss, D. W. and K. W. Forsythe, "Multiple-input multiple-output (MIMO) radar and imaging: Degrees of freedom and resolution," Proceedings of the 37th Asilomar Conference on Signals, Systems and Computers, 54-59, 2003.
2. Fishler, E., A. Haimovich, R. Blum, D. Chizhik, L. Cimini, and R. Valenzuela, "MIMO radar: An idea whose time has come," Proceedings of IEEE Radar Conference, 71-78, 2004.
3. Li, J., P. Stoica, L. Z. Xu, and W. Roberts, "On parameter identifiability of MIMO radar," IEEE Signal Processing Letters, Vol. 14, 968-971, 2007. doi:10.1109/LSP.2007.905051
4. Fishler, E., A. Haimovich, R. S. Blum, L. J. Cimini, D. Chizhik, and R. A. Valenzuela, "Spatial diversity in radars-models and detection performance," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 54, 823-838, 2006. doi:10.1109/TSP.2005.862813
5. Haimovich, A. M., R. S. Blum, and L. J. Cimini, "MIMO radar with widely separated antennas," IEEE Signal Processing Magazine, Vol. 25, 116-129, 2008. doi:10.1109/MSP.2008.4408448
6. Chen, S. W., C. L. Meng, and A. C. Chang, "DOA and DOD estimation based on double 1-D Root-MVDR estimators for bistatic MIMO radars," Wireless Personal Communications, Vol. 2016, No. 86, 1321-1332, 2016. doi:10.1007/s11277-015-2991-0
7. Chen, H., X. Zhang, Y. Bai, and J. Ma, "Direction finding for bistatic MIMO radar with non-circular sources," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 66, 173-182, 2018.
8. Li, J. and P. Stoica, "MIMO radar with widely separated antennas," IEEE Signal Processing Magazine, Vol. 24, 106-114, 2007. doi:10.1109/MSP.2007.904812
9. Gorji, A. A., R. Tharmarasa, and T. Kirubarajan, "Optimal antenna allocation in MIMO radars with collocated antennas," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 50, 542-558, 2014. doi:10.1109/TAES.2013.120384
10. Hassanien, A. and S. A. Vorobyov, "Transmit energy focusing for DOA estimation in MIMO radar with colocated antennas," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 59, 2669-2682, 2011. doi:10.1109/TSP.2011.2125960
11. Yan, H. D., J. Li, and G. S. Liao, "Multitarget identification and localization using bistatic MIMO radar systems," EURASIP Journal on Advances in Signal Processing, Vol. 2008, 283483, 2007. doi:10.1155/2008/283483
12. Zhang, X. F., L. Y. Xu, L. Xu, and D. Z. Xu, "Direction of departure (DOD) and direction of arrival (DOA) estimation in MIMO radar with reduced-dimension MUSIC," IEEE Communications Letters, Vol. 14, 1161-1163, 2010. doi:10.1109/LCOMM.2010.102610.101581
13. Zhang, X., Y. Huang, C. Chen, J. Li, and D. Xu, "Reduced-complexity Capon for direction of arrival estimation in a monostatic multiple-input multiple-output radar," IET Radar Sonar and Navigation, Vol. 6, 796-801, 2012. doi:10.1049/iet-rsn.2011.0343
14. Chen, D. F., B. X. Chen, and G. D. Qin, "Angle estimation using ESPRIT in MIMO radar," Electronics Letters, Vol. 44, 770, 2008.
15. Chen, J. L., H. Gu, and W. M. Su, "Angle estimation using ESPRIT without pairing in MIMO radar," Electronics Letters, Vol. 44, 1422-1423, 2008.
16. Bencheikh, M. L. and Y. Wang, "Joint DOD-DOA estimation using combined ESPRIT-MUSIC approach in MIMO radar," Electronics Letters, Vol. 46, 1081-1083, 2010. doi:10.1049/el.2010.1195
17. Zheng, G. M., B. X. Chen, and M. L. Yang, "Unitary ESPRIT algorithm for bistatic MIMO radar," Electronics Letters, Vol. 48, 179-181, 2012. doi:10.1049/el.2011.3657
18. Dang, X. F., B. X. Chen, M. L. Yang, and G. M. Zheng, "Beamspace unitary ESPRIT algorithm for angle estimation in bistatic MIMO radar," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 621358, 1-9, 2015.
19. Xia, T. Q., "Joint diagonalization based DOD and DOA estimation for bistatic MIMO radar," Signal Processing, Vol. 108, 159-166, 2015. doi:10.1016/j.sigpro.2014.09.010
20. Wang, G. M., J. M. Xin, N. N. Zheng, and A. Sano, "Computationally efficient subspace-based method for two-dimensional direction estimation with L-shaped array," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 59, 3197-3212, 2011. doi:10.1109/TSP.2011.2144591
21. Marcos, S., A. Marsal, and M. Benidir, "The propagator method for source bearing estimation," Signal Processing, Vol. 42, 121-138, 1995. doi:10.1016/0165-1684(94)00122-G
22. Xin, J. M. and A. Sano, "Computationally efficient subspace-based method for direction-of-arrival estimation without eigendecomposition," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 52, 876-893, 2004. doi:10.1109/TSP.2004.823469
23. Tayem, J., K. Majeed, and A. A. Hussain, "Two-dimensional DOA estimation using cross-correlation matrix with L-shaped array," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 15, 1077-1080, 2016. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2015.2493099
24. Tang, B., J. Tang, Y. Zhang, and Z. D. Zheng, "Maximum likelihood estimation of DOD and DOA for bistatic MIMO radar," Signal Processing, Vol. 93, 1349-1357, 2013. doi:10.1016/j.sigpro.2012.11.011