A novel design to enhance the bandwidth of a low-profile substrate integrated waveguide (SIW) cavity antenna is presented. Distinct from traditional antennas with unilateral slots, bilateral slots are utilized as radiating elements in the proposed design. By etching an additional slot at the bottom plane, a new resonant mode is introduced, and quality factors of two original modes are significantly reduced. Antenna's bandwidth can be dramatically enhanced by merging these three modes within a single operating band. A prototype is fabricated and measured. With the height of 0.018λ0, the measured 10-dB bandwidth is 410 MHz (3.24-3.65 GHz), corresponding to 11.9% fractional bandwidth. The measured gain is higher than 4.3 dBi, and the measured efficiency is around 75% within the operation band. Those attractive features, e.g. low profile, enhanced bandwidth and moderate radiation performance, make the proposed antenna suitable for future 5G systems.
"Bandwidth Enhancement of Low-Profile SIW Cavity Antenna with Bilateral Slots," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters,
Vol. 82, 25-32, 2019. doi:10.2528/PIERL18102505
1. Luk, K. M., "The importance of the new developments in antennas for wireless communications," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 99, No. 12, 2082-2084, Dec. 2011. doi:10.1109/JPROC.2011.2167430
2. Shu, P. and Q. Feng, "Design of a compact quad-band hybrid antenna for compass/WiMAX/WLAN applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 138, 585-598, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIER13022708
3. Khalichi, B., S. Nikmehr, and A. Pourziad, "Reconfigurable SIW antenna based on RF-MEMS switches," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 142, 189-205, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIER13070204
4. Luo, G. Q., T. Y. Wang, and X. H. Zhang, "Review of low profile substrate integrated waveguide cavity backed antennas," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2013, Art. No. 746920, Oct. 2013.
5. Zhai, G., Z. N. Chen, and X. Qing, "Enhanced isolation of a closely spaced four-element MIMO antenna system using metamaterial mushroom," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 63, No. 8, 3362-3370, Aug. 2015. doi:10.1109/TAP.2015.2434403
6. Saghati, A. P., A. P. Saghati, and K. Entesari, "An ultra-miniature SIW cavity-backed slot antenna," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 16, 313-316, 2017. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2016.2574764
7. Yun, S., D. Y. Kim, and S. Nam, "Bandwidth and efficiency enhancement of cavity-backed slot antenna using a substrate removal," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 11, 1458-1461, 2012.
8. Awida, M. H., S. H. Suleiman, and A. E. Fathy, "Substrate-integrated cavity- backed patch arrays: a low-cost approach for bandwidth enhancement," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 59, No. 4, 1155-1163, Apr. 2011. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2109681
9. Yang, W. and J. Zhou, "Wideband low-profile substrate integrated waveguide cavity-backed E-shaped patch antenna," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 12, 143-146, 2013. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2013.2241011
10. Maged, M. A., F. Elhefnawi, H. Akah, A. El-Akhdar, and H. El-Hennawy, "Design and realization of circular polarized SIW slot array antenna for cubesat intersatellite links," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 77, 81-88, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERL18040704
11. Chaturvedi, D. and S. Raghavan, "Compact QMSIW based antennas for WLAN/WBAN applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 82, 145-153, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERC18012003
12. Luo, G. Q., Z. F. Hu, W. J. Li, X. H. Zhang, L. L. Sun, and J. F. Zheng, "Bandwidth-enhanced low-profile cavity-backed slot antenna by using hybrid SIW cavity modes," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, No. 4, 1698-1704, Apr. 2012. doi:10.1109/TAP.2012.2186226
13. Mukherjee, S., A. Biswas, and K. V. Srivastava, "Broadband substrate integrated waveguide cavity-backed bow-tie slot antenna," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 13, 1152-1155, 2014. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2014.2330743
14. Huang, J.-Q., D. Lei, C. Jiang, Z. Tang, F. Qiu, M. Yao, and Q.-X. Chu, "Novel circularly polarized SIW cavity-backed antenna with wide CP beamwidth by using dual orthogonal slot split rings," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 73, 97-104, 2017. doi:10.2528/PIERC17021706
15. Yun, S., D. Y. Kim, and S. Nam, "Bandwidth enhancement of cavity-backed slot antenna using a via-hole above the slot," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 11, 1092-1095, 2012.
16. Shi, F. Y., J. Liu, and Y. Long, "Wideband triple- and quad-resonance substrate integrated waveguide cavity-backed slot antennas with shorting vias," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 65, No. 11, 5768-5775, Nov. 2017. doi:10.1109/TAP.2017.2755118
17. Niu, B. J. and Q. Y. Feng, "Bandwidth enhancement of CPW-Fed antenna based on epsilon negative zeroth- and first-order resonators," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett, Vol. 12, 1125-1128, 2013. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2013.2280952
18. Ban, Y., C. Li, G. Sim, G. Wu, and K. L. Wong, "4G/5G multiple antennas for future multi-mode smartphone applications," IEEE Access, Vol. 4, 2981-2988, 2016. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2016.2582786
19. Li, Z., Y. Sun, M. Yang, Z. Wu, and P. Tang, "A broadband dual-polarized magneto-electric dipole antenna for 2G/3G/LTE/WiMAX applications ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 73, 127-136, 2017. doi:10.2528/PIERC17022005