An X-band pyramidal horn antenna with a fourth order Chebyshev filtering function is presented in this paper. Four resonators are implemented in linear rectangular waveguide in the filter design. The last stage resonator provides not only resonance pole but also radiation function. To achieve high directivity, a pyramidal horn is attached to the filter output port, with negligible effect on the filter performance. Theoretical results are calculated based on the coupling matrix between the resonators. Finally, a pyramidal horn antenna operating at 10 GHz is designed and fabricated for demonstration. The measured results have found to be in good agreement with the simulated ones.
1. Yusuf, Y. and X. Gong, "Compact low-loss integration of high-Q 3-D filters with highly efficient antennas," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 59, No. 4, 857-865, Apr. 2011. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2010.2100407
2. Yusuf, Y., H. T. Cheng, and X. Gong, "Co-designed substrate-integrated waveguide filters with patch antennas," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 7, No. 7, 493-501, Jul. 2013. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2012.0431
3. Chu, H., J. X. Chen, S. Luo, and Y. X. Guo, "A millimeter-wave filtering monopulse antenna array based on substrate integrated waveguide technology," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 64, No. 1, 316-321, Jan. 2016. doi:10.1109/TAP.2015.2497351
4. Lin, C.-K. and S.-J. Chung, "A compact filtering microstrip antenna with quasi-elliptic broadside antenna gain response," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 10, 381-384, Apr. 2011.
5. Lin, C.-K. and S.-J. Chung, "A filtering microstrip antenna array," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 59, No. 11, 2856-2863, Nov. 2011. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2011.2160986
6. Wu, W.-J., Y.-Z. Yin, Z.-Y. Zhang, and J.-J. Xie, "A new compact filter-antenna for modern wireless communication systems," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 10, 1131-1134, Oct. 2011.
7. Chen, X. W., F. X. Zhao, L. Y. Yan, and W. M. Zhang, "A compact filtering antenna with flat gain response within the passband," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 12, 857-860, Jul. 2013.
8. Yang, Y. and M. J. Lancaster, "Waveguide slot antenna with integrated filters," ESA Workshop on Antennas for Space Applications, 48-54, Noordwijk, Netherlands, Oct. 2010.
9. Chen, F. C., H. T. Hu, R. S. Li, Q. X. Chu, and M. J. Lancaster, "Design of filtering microstrip antenna array with reduced sidelobe level," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 65, No. 2, 903-908, Feb. 2017. doi:10.1109/TAP.2016.2639469
10. Zhang, B. H. and Q. Xue, "Filtering antenna with high selectivity using multiple coupling paths from source/load to resonators," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 66, No. 8, 4320-4325, May 2018. doi:10.1109/TAP.2018.2839968
11. Mahmud, R. H. and M. J. Lancaster, "High-gain and wide-bandwidth filtering planar antenna array-based solely on resonators," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 65, No. 5, 2367-2375, May 2017. doi:10.1109/TAP.2017.2670443
12. Chen, F. C., J. F. Chen, Q. X. Chu, and M. J. Lancaster, "X-band waveguide filtering antenna array with non-uniform feed structure," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 65, No. 12, 4843-4850, Dec. 2017. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2017.2705697
13. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory-Analysis and Design, 3rd Ed., John Wiley & Sons, Inc., Hoboken, New Jersey, 2005.
14. Bilotti, F., L. D. Palma, D. Ramaccia, and A. Toscano, "Self-filtering low-noise horn antenna for satellite applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 11, 354-357, Apr. 2012. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2012.2191129
15. Barbuto, M., F. Trotta, F. Bilotti, and A. Toscano, "Horn antennas with integrated notch filters," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 63, No. 2, 781-785, Feb. 2015. doi:10.1109/TAP.2014.2378269
16. Lancaster, M. J., Passive Microwave Device Applications of High-temperature Superconductors, Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge, UK, 1997. doi:10.1017/CBO9780511526688
17. Hong, J. S. and M. J. Lancaster, Microstrip Filters for RF/Microwave Applications, Wiley, New York, NY, USA, 2001. doi:10.1002/0471221619
18. Cozzens, D. E., "Tables ease horn design," Microwaves, 37-39, Mar. 1966.