In order to obtain a wideband sum-and-difference network, a novel ridged substrate integrated waveguide (RSIW) magic-T is designed. The proposed magic-T is composed of a five-layer RSIW structure. The signal input from the coaxial H-plane port is transmitted to RSIW through a stripline and split into two in-phase and equal signals at the output ports on the top and bottom layers because of the vertically symmetric structure. An E-plane SIW power divider is utilized to realize the E-plane input/output port of the magic-T. A remarkable bandwidth improvement is achieved due to the ridged structure and the wide bandwidth of a ladder-shape stripline optimized by genetic algorithm (GA). Measured results indicate that the magic-T has a fractional bandwidth (FBW) of 78.7% (6.4-14.7 GHz) with return loss better than 18.1 dB and great isolation characteristics.
1. Chiang, C.-T. and B.-K. Chung, "Ultra wideband power divider using tapered line," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 106, 61-73, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10061603
2. Marynowski, W. and J. Mazur, "Investigation of multilayer magic-T configurations using novel microstrip-slotine transitions," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 129, 91-108, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIER12032303
3. Khatib, B. Y. E., T. Djerafi, and K. Wu, "Substrate-integrated waveguide vertical interconnects for 3-D integrated circuits," IEEE Trans.Compon.Packag. Manuf. Technol., Vol. 2, 1526-1535, Sep. 2012. doi:10.1109/TCPMT.2012.2196516
4. Zheng, C. and F. Xu, "A Compact Planar Magic-T Using One-Third Triangular Resonator of Substrate Integrated Waveguide and Slotline Transition," Microwave Symposium, 1-4, Jul. 2015.
5. Wu, H. C. and W. B. Dou, "A rigorous analysis and experimental researches of waveguide magic Tee at W band," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 60, 131-142, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER05112904
6. Hwang, K. C., "Design and Optimization of a Broadband Waveguide Magic-T Using a Stepped Conducting Cone," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 19, 539-541, Sep. 2009. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2009.2027052
7. Leal-Sevillano, C. A., et al., "Compact broadband couplers based on the waveguide magic-T junction," 2013 European Microwave Conference, Oct. 2013.
8. Carl Kim, J. P. and W. S. Park, "Novel configurations of planar multilayer magic-t using microstrip-slotline transitions," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 50, 1683-1688, Jul. 2002.
9. Henin, B. and A. Abbosh, "Wideband hybrid using three-line coupled structure and microstrip-slot transitions," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 23, 335-337, Jul. 2013. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2013.2262930
10. He, F. F., K. Wu, W. Hong, L. Han, and X. Chen, "A planar magic-T structure using substrate integrated circuits concept and its mixer applications," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 59, 72-79, Feb. 2011. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2010.2091195
11. Cheng, Y. J. and Y. Fan, "Compact substrate-integrated waveguide bandpass rat-race coupler and its microwave applications," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 6, 1000-1006, Jun. 2012. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2012.0011
12. Peng, L., H. Chu, and R. S. Chen, "SIW magic-T with bandpass response," Electronics Letters, Vol. 51, 1078-1080, 2015. doi:10.1049/el.2015.0640
13. He, Y. J., D. Y. Mo, Q. S. Wu, and Q. X. Chu, "A Ka-band waveguide magic-T with coplanar arms using ridge-waveguide transition," IEEE Microwave & Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 27, 965-967, 2017. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2017.2750020
14. Rosenberg, U., M. Salehi, J. Bornemann, and E. Mehrshahi, "A novel frequency-selective power combiner/divider in single-layer substrate integrated waveguide technology," IEEE Microw. Wirel. Compon. Lett., Vol. 23, 406-408, 2013. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2013.2269039
15. Huang, J., G. Hua, B. Cao, and F. Ran, "A 34.5 GHz planar magic-T based on coupling slot and substrate integrated waveguide," 2016 IEEE International Conference on Ubiquitous Wireless Broadband (ICUWB), 1-3, Oct. 2016.
16. Yang, L., F. Xu, S. Deng, and S. Liu, "A compact planar magic-T using quarter-mode substrate integrated waveguide resonator and slotline coupling transition," 2016 IEEE International Conference on Ubiquitous Wireless Broadband (ICUWB), 1-3, Oct. 2016.
17. Germain, S., D. Deslandes, and K. Wu, "Development of substrate integrated waveguide power dividers," IEEE Electr. Comput. Eng., Vol. 3, 1921-1924, May 2003.
18. He, F. F., K. Wu, W. Hong, H. J. Tang, H. B. Zhu, and J. X. Chen, "A planar magic-T using substrate integrated circuits concept," IEEE Microwave & Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 18, 386-388, 2008. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2008.922596
19. Feng, W. J., W. Q. Che, and K. Deng, "Compact planar magic-T using E-plane substrate integrated waveguide (SIW) power divider and slotline transition," IEEE Microwave & Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 20, 331-333, 2010. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2010.2047519
20. Zhu, F., W. Hong, J.-X. Chen, and K. Wu, "Design and implementation of a broadband substrate integrated waveguide magic-T," IEEE Microwave & Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 22, 630-632, 2012. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2012.2226936
21. Li, C., W. Che, P. Russer, and Y. L. Chow, "Propagation and a band broadening effect of planar ridged substrate-intergrated waveguide (RSIW)," ICMMT2008 Proceedings, Vol. 2, 467-470, 2008.
22. Li, L., et al., "Propagation characteristic of ridge substrate integrated waveguide," 2016 IEEE International Conference on Integrated Circuits and Microsystems, 195-199, 2016.
23. Somlo, P. I., "The computation of coaxial line step capacitances," IEEE Trans. Micro. Theory Tech., Vol. 15, No. 1, Jan. 1967. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1967.1126368
24. Sahu, A., R. Mishra, and P. Aaen, "Recent advances in the theory and applications of substrate-integrated waveguides," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 26, 129-145, 2016. doi:10.1002/mmce.20946