A wideband filter with a notched band is presented. The proposed filter is formed by cascading three coupling units, and each coupling unit is composed of two curved T-shaped microstrip patches at the top and bottom layers and a circular coupling slot at the mid layer. Overlapping three coupling units could result in a wideband filter with a tunable notched band. To analyse the resonance characteristics, the equivalent circuit model is presented. The notched frequency is 5.8 GHz, and within the passband, the insertion and return losses are better than -2 dB and -15 dB, respectively. The group delays are 0.08 ns and 0.12 ns correspondingly, and the upper stopband reaches 15 GHz. The multi-layer structure leads to a compact size and tight coupling characteristics, and the feasibility and excellent performance of the design is verified.
1. Federal Communications Commission, "Revision of Part 15 of the Commission’s rules regarding ultra-wideband transmission systems,", Tech. Rep., ET-Docket 98–153, FCC02–48, Apr. 2002. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2005.859011
2. Zhu, L., S. Sun, and W. Menzel, "Ultra-wideband (UWB) bandpass filters using multiple-mode resonator," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 15, No. 11, 796-798, 2005.
3. Mokhtaari, M., J. Bornemann, and S. Amari, "A modified design approach for compact ultra-wideband microstrip filters," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 20, No. 1, 66-75, 2010.
4. Hao, S. and T. Jiang, "A compact ultra-wideband band-pass filter integrated with dual tunable notch bands," 2016 Progress In Electromagnetic Research Symposium (PIERS), 3492-3494, Shanghai, China, Aug. 8–11, 2016. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2012.2210395
5. Sarkar, P., et al., "Compact UWB bandpass filter with dual notch bands using open circuited stubs," IEEE Microwave & Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 22, No. 9, 453-455, 2012. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2010.2040212
7. Kumar, S., R. D. Gupta, and M. S. Parihar, "Multiple band notched filter using C-shaped and E-shaped resonator for UWB applications," IEEE Microwave & Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 26, No. 5, 340-342, 2016. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2006.889150
8. Abbosh, A. and M. Bialkowski, "Design of compact directional couplers for UWB applications," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 55, No. 2, 189-194, 2007. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2007.906468
9. Abbosh, A., "Planar bandpass filters for ultra wideband applications," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 55, No. 10, 2262-2269, 2007.
10. Abbosh, A., M. Bialkowski, and D. Thiel, "Ultra wideband bandpass filter using microstrip-slot couplers combined with dumbbell slots and H-shaped stubs," Proc. Asia-Pacific Microw. Conf., 909-912, Singapore, Dec. 7–10, 2009.
11. Mongia, R., I. Bahl, and P. Bhartia, RF and Microwave Coupled-line Circuits, Vol. 109, 117-119, Artech House, Norwood, MA, 1999.
12. Pozar, D., Microwave Engineering, 3rd Ed., Wiley, New York, 2005.