In this letter, a wideband dual-polarized dipole antenna is proposed for base station applications. By bending the arms of the dipole, the radiator size is reduced. Meanwhile, a new resonant mode occurs at high frequency. Besides, four shorting stubs are employed to improve the impedance matching. Finally, a wide operating bandwidth is realized by combining all resonant modes. A prototype of the proposed antenna is fabricated and tested. Experimental results show that the antenna has a wide impedance bandwidth of 53% (1.65-2.84 GHz) for VSWR<1.5 at two ports and a high port isolation of 26 dB. Also, a stable antenna gain around 7.9±0.5 dBi and a stable radiation pattern with 3-dB beamwidth of 67.5°±3.5° are obtained within the entire band of operation.
1. Wong, K. L., Compact and Broadband Microstrip Antennas, Wiley, Hoboken, NJ, USA, 2002. doi:10.1002/0471221112
2. Zuo, S., Q.-Q. Liu, and Z.-Y. Zhang, "Wideband dual-polarized crossed-dipole antenna with parasitical crossed-strip for base station applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 48, 159-166, 2014. doi:10.2528/PIERC14021101
3. Liu, C., J.-L. Liu, Y.-H. Huang, and L.-Y. Zhou, "A novel dual-polarized antenna with high isolation and low cross polarization for wireless communication," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 32, 129-136, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIERL12032805
4. Deng, J. Y., L. X. Guo, Y. Z. Yin, J. Qiu, and Z. S. Wu, "Broadband patch antennas fed by novel tuned loop," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 61, No. 4, 2290-2293, 2013. doi:10.1109/TAP.2012.2237497
5. Gou, Y. S., S. W. Yang, Q. J. Zhu, and Z. P. Nie, "A compact dual-polarized double -shaped patch antenna with high isolation," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 61, No. 8, 4349-4353, 2013. doi:10.1109/TAP.2013.2262664
6. Jiang, X. L., Z. J. Zhang, Z. J. Tian, Y. Li, and Z. H. Feng, "A low-cost dual-polarized array antenna etched on a single substrate," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 12, 265-268, 2013. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2013.2248074
7. Lian, R. N., Z. D. Wang, Y. Z. Yin, J. J. Wu, and X. Y. Song, "Design of a low-profile dual-polarized stepped slot antenna array for base station," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 15, 362-365, 2016. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2015.2446193