A general auxiliary differential equation (ADE) finite difference time-domain (FDTD) method with Crank-Nicolson (CN) scheme is proposed to model electromagnetic wave propagation in dispersive materials in this paper. The proposed method introduces an ADE technique that establishes the relationship between the electric displacement vector and electric field intensity with a differential equation in dispersive media. The CN scheme applies only to Faraday's law, resulting in reduced memory usage and computing time. To validate the advantages of the proposed approach, two examples with plane wave propagation in dispersive media are calculated. Compared with the conventional ADE-CN-FDTD method, the results from our proposed method show its accuracy and efficiency for dispersive media simulation.
2. Sun, G. and C. W. Trueman, "Approximate Crank-Nicolson schemes for the 2-D finite-difference time-domain method for TEz waves," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 52, No. 10, 589-590, May 2004.
3. Sun, G. and C. W. Trueman, "Efficient implementations of the Crank-Nicolson schemes for the finite-difference time-domain method," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 54, No. 5, 2275-2284, May 2006.
4. Tan, E. L., "Efficient algorithms for Crank-Nicolson-based finite-difference-time domain-methods," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 56, No. 2, 408-413, Feb. 2006.
5. Sadrpour, S.-M., V. Nayyeri, M. Soleimani, and O. M. Ramahi, "A new efficient unconditionally stable finite-differnce time-domain solution of the wave equation," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 65, No. 6, 3114-3121, Jun. 2017.
6. Chen, W.-J., P. Ma, and J. Tian, "A novel ADE-CN-FDTD with improved computational efficiency for dispersive media," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 28, No. 10, 849-851, Sep. 2018.
7. Chen, W.-J., W. Shao, and B.-Z. Wang, "ADE-Laguerre-FDTD method for wave propagation in general dispersive materials," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 23, No. 5, 228-230, May 2013.
8. Rouf, H. K., F. Costen, and S. G. Garcia, "3D Crank-Nicolson finite difference time domain method for dispersive media," Electron. Lett., Vol. 45, No. 19, 961-962, Sep. 2009.