In this paper, a simple approach for enhancing the gain of a planar dipole antenna using the concept of grounded metamaterial (MTM) has been proposed. In this regard, a magnetic metamaterial with Mu-very large (MVL) property has been utilised to increase the gain of the electric dipole source. A fully planar structure has been configured due to the placement of the metamaterial just over the ground plane. A significant amount of gain improvement (about 3.7 dB) of the dipole antenna can be attained using the metamaterial. In addition, a fair increase of fractional bandwidth by 2.2% has been obtained due to the loading of the metamaterial. A comparative study with respect to recently reported literature for the gain enhancement of planar dipole has also been discussed. The proposed antenna is a worthy candidate for wireless communication owing to the high gain, low profile, and wide bandwidth characteristics.
2. Mishra, N. and R. K. Chaudhary, "A compact CPW fed CRR loaded four element metamaterial array antenna for wireless application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 159, 15-26, 2017.
3. Heydari, S., P. Jahangiri, A. S. Arezoomand, and F. B. Zarrabi, "Circular polarization fractal slot by Jerusalem cross slot for wireless applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 63, 79-84, 2016.
4. Mansouri, Z., A. S. Arezoomand, S. Heydari, and F. B. Zarrabi, "Dual notch UWB fork monopole antenna with CRLH metamaterial load," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 65, 111-119, 2016.
5. Mishra, N., A. Gupta, and R. K. Chaudhary, "A compact CPW-fed wideband metamaterial antenna using Ω-shaped interdigital capacitor for mobile applications," Microw. Opt. Tech. Lett., Vol. 57, No. 11, 2558-2562, 2015.
6. Mishra, N. and R. K. Chaudhary, "A miniaturized ZOR antenna with enhanced bandwidth for WiMAX applications," Microw. Opt. Tech. Lett., Vol. 58, No. 1, 71-75, 2016.
7. Ziolkwoski, R. W. and A. D. Kipple, "Application of double negative materials to increase the power radiated by electrically small antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 51, No. 10, 2626-2640, October 2003.
8. Li, D., Z. Szabo, X. Qing, E. P. Li, and Z. N. Chen, "A high gain antenna with an optimized metamaterial inspired superstrate," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, No. 12, 6018-6023, Dec. 2012.
9. Ju, J., K. Dongho, J. L. Wangjoo, and I. C. Jaeick, "Wideband high-gain antenna using metamaterial superstrate with the zero refractive index," Microw. Opt. Tech. Lett., Vol. 51, No. 8, 1973-1976, Aug. 2009.
10. Sarkhel, A. and S. R. B. Chaudhuri, "Enhanced-gain printed slot antenna using an electric metasurface superstrate," Appl. Phys. A, Vol. 122, 934, 2016.
11. Lee, Y. J., J. Yeo, R. Mittra, and W. S. Park, "Design of a high-directivity electromagnetic band gap (EBG) resonator antenna using a frequency-selective surface (FSS) superstrate," Microw. Opt. Tech. Lett., Vol. 43, 462-467, Dec. 2004.
12. Chaimool, S., C. Rakluea, and P. Akkaraekthalin, "Compact wideband microstrip thinned array antenna using EBG supersrate," AEU-International Journal of Electronics and Communication, Vol. 66, No. 1, 49-53, 2012.
13. Mittra, R., Y. Li, and K. Yoo, "A comparative study of directivity enhancement of patch antennas using three different superstrates," Microwave & Optical Lett., Vol. 52, No. 2, 327-331, Feb. 2010.
14. Lee, Y. J., W. S. Park, J. Yeo, and R. Mittra, "Directivity enhancement of printed antennas using a class of metamaterial superstrates," Electromagnetics, Vol. 26, No. 3–4, 203-218, 2005.
15. Lovat, G., P. Burghignoli, F. Capolino, D. R. Jackson, and D. R. Wilton, "Analysis of directive radiation from a line source in a metamaterial slab with low permittivity," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 54, No. 3, 1017-1030, 2006.
16. Lovat, G., P. Burghignoli, F. Capolino, and D. R. Jackson, "Combinations of low/high permittivity and/or permeability substrates for highly directive planar metamaterial antennas," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 1, No. 1, 177-183, 2007.
17. Mitra, D., A. Sarkhel, O. Kundu, and S. R. B. Chaudhuri, "Design of compact and high directive slot antenna using grounded metamaterial slab," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 14, 811-814, 2015.
18. Mitra, D., B. Ghosh, A. Sarkhel, and S. R. B. Chaudhuri, "A miniaturized ring slot antenna design with enhanced radiation characteristics," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 64, No. 1, 300-305, 2016.
19. Schurig, D., J. J. Mock, and D. R. Smith, "Electric-field-coupled resonators for negative permittivity metamaterials," Applied Phys. Lett., Vol. 88, No. 4, 041109, 2006.
20. Numan, A. B. and M. S. Sharawi, "Extraction of material parameters for metamaterials using a full-wave simulator [education column]," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 55, No. 5, 202-211, 2013.
21. Wani, Z., M. P. Abegaonkar, and S. K. Koul, "Gain enhancement of millimetre wave antenna with metamaterial loading," International Symposium on Antennas and Propag., Phuket, Thailand, 2017.
22. Yeo, J. and J.-I. Lee, "Broadband flat gain enhancement of planar double dipole quasi-yagi antenna using multiple directors," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 65, 1-9, 2016.
23. Kesornpatumanun, V., P. Boonek, W. Silabut, N. Homsup, and W. Kuhirun, "High directivity and gain enhancement for small planar dipole antenna at 11 GHz using symmetrical pyramidal block based on epsilon negative medium," International Scholarly and Scientific Research and Innovation, Vol. 8, No. 5, 817-820, 2014.