In this paper, a half-mode substrate integrated waveguide (HMSIW) semi-circular cavity backed antenna, using two higher order modes (TM210 and TM020), has been proposed for dual-band operation. A semicircular slot is engraved on the top of the HMSIW structure forming a cavity that is fed by co-axial feeding to get impedance matching with the line. The theoretical operation of TM210 and TM020 modes is explained using the simulation tool. The antenna parameters such as reflection coefficient, gain, and radiation patterns have been measured for the fabricated antenna. The antenna radiates in two bands, in which the first band center frequency is 8.5 GHz, and the second band center frequency is 10.6 GHz. Peak gains at boresight direction are around 7.5 dBi and 6 dBi, respectively.
2. Banerjee, S., S. Chatterjee, T. Mohanty, S. Ray, T. S. Sarkar, and M. Gangopadhyaya, "A compact dual-band half-mode SIW based semicircular antenna," 2016 IEEE 7th Annual Ubiquitous Computing, Electronics & Mobile Communication Conference (UEMCON), Oct. 20–22, 2016.
3. Kumar, A. and S. Raghavan, "A design of miniaturized half-mode SIW cavity backed antenna," A Workshop on Advanced Antenna Technology, 2016 Indian Antenna Week (IAW 2016), Jun. 6–10， 2016.
4. Wu, Q., H. Wang, C. Yu, and W. Hong, "Low-profile circularly polarized cavity-backed antennas using SIW techniques," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 4, No. 7, 2832-2839, Jul. 2016.
5. Sam, S. and S. Lim, "Compact frequency-reconfigurable half-mode substrate-integrated waveguide antenna," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag Lett., Vol. 12, 951-954, Aug. 2013.
6. Zou, X., C.-M. Tong, H. He, and F. Geng, "Edge-radiating slot antenna based on half-mode substrate integrated waveguide," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 11, No. 8, 1106-1112, Apr. 2017.
7. Rana, B. and S. K. Parui, "Half-mode substrate integrated waveguide fed compact slot antenna," 2013 IEEE Applied Electromagnetics Conference (AEMC), Feb. 2015.
8. Lai, Q. H., W. Hong, Z. Q. Kuai, Y. S. Zhang, and K. Wu, "Half-mode substrate integrated waveguide transverse slot array antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 57, No. 4, 1064-1072, Apr. 2009.
9. Dashti, H., M. Shahabadi, and M. H. Neshati, "SIW cavity-backed slot antennas with improved gain," 2013 21st Iranian Conference on Electrical Engineering, Sept. 2013.
10. Srivastava, A., R. K. Chaudhary, A. Biswas, and M. J. Akhtar, "Dual-band L-shaped SIW slot antenna," International Conference on Microwave and Photonics (ICMAP), Feb. 2014.
11. Luo, G. Q., Z. F. Hu, Y. Liang, L. Y. Yu, and L. L. Sun, "Development of low profile cavity backed crossed slot antennas for planar integration," IEEE Antennas Propag., Vol. 57, 102972-102979, Oct. 2009.
12. Chaturvedi, D. and S. Raghavan, "A dual-band half-mode substrate integrated waveguide based antenna for WLAN/WBAN applications," Int. J. RF Microw. Comput. Aided Eng., 2018.
13. Liu, Z. G. and Y. X. Guo, "Dual band low profile antenna for body centric communications," IEEE Trans Antennas Propag., 2013.
14. Tak, J., S. Woo, J. Kwon, and J. Choi, "Dual-band dual-mode patch antenna for on/off-body WBAN communications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag Lett., 2016.
15. Islam, M. T., N. Misran, and A. T. Mobashsher, "Compact dual band microstrip antenna for Ku-band application," Information Technology Journal, Vol. 9, No. 2, 354-358, 2010.