An algorithm named MUSIC-like algorithm was previously proposed as an alternative method to the MUltiple SIgnal Classification (MUSIC) algorithm for direction-of-arrival (DOA) estimation. Without requiring explicit model order estimation, it was shown to have robust performance particularly in low signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) scenarios. In this letter, the working principle of a relaxation parameter β, a parameter which was introduced into the formulation of the MUSIC-like algorithm, is provided based on geometrical interpretation. To illustrate its robustness, the algorithm will be examined under symmetric α-stable distributed noise environment. An adaptive framework is then developed and proposed in this letter to further optimize the algorithm. The proposed adaptive framework is compared with the original MUSIC-like, MUSIC, FLOM-MUSIC, and SSCM-MUSIC algorithms. A notable improvement in terms of targets resolvability of the proposed method is observed under different impulse noise scenarios as well as different SNR levels.
2. Schmidt, R. O., "Multiple emitter location and signal parameter estimation," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 34, No. 3, 276-280, Mar. 1986.
3. Kaveh, M. and A. Barabell, "The statistical performance of the MUSIC and the Minimum-Norm algorithms in resolving plane waves in noise," IEEE Trans. Acoust., Speech, Signal Process., Vol. 34, No. 2, 331-341, Apr. 1986.
4. Patole, S. M., M. Torlak, D. Wang, and M. Ali, "Automotive radars: A review of signal processing techniques," IEEE Signal Process. Mag., Vol. 34, No. 2, 22-35, Mar. 2017.
5. Wan, L., X. Kong, and F. Xia, "Joint range-doppler-angle estimation for intelligent tracking of moving aerial targets," IEEE Internet Things J., Vol. 5, No. 3, 1625-1636, Jun. 2018.
6. Kim, J. M., O. K. Lee, and J. C. Ye, "Compressive MUSIC: Revisiting the link between compressive sensing and array signal processing," IEEE Trans. Inf. Theory, Vol. 58, No. 1, 278-301, Jan. 2012.
7. Davies, M. E. and Y. C. Eldar, "Rank awareness in joint sparse recovery," IEEE Trans. Inf. Theory, Vol. 58, No. 2, 1135-1146, Feb. 2012.
8. Lee, K., Y. Bresler, and M. Junge, "Subspace methods for joint sparse recovery," IEEE Trans. Inf. Theory, Vol. 58, No. 6, 3613-3641, Jun. 2012.
9. Lee, O., J. Kim, Y. Bresler, and J. C. Ye, "Diffuse optical tomography using generalized MUSIC algorithm," IEEE Int. Symp. Biomed. Imag., 1142-1145, Jun. 2011.
10. Scholz, B., "Towards virtual electrical breast biopsy: Space-frequency MUSIC for trans-admittance data," IEEE Trans. Med. Imag., Vol. 21, No. 6, 588-595, Jun. 2002.
11. Borijindargoon, N., B. P. Ng, and S. Rahardja, "MUSIC-like algorithm for source localization in electrical impedance tomography," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron, Vol. 66, No. 6, 4661-4671, Jun. 2019.
12. Adali, T. and S. S. Haykin, Adaptive Signal Processing: Next Generation Solutions, John Wiley & Sons, Hoboken, New Jersey, 2010.
13. Liu, T. H. and J. M. Mendel, "A subspace-based direction finding algorithm using fractional lower order statistics," IEEE Signal Process. Mag., Vol. 49, No. 8, 1605-1613, Aug. 2001.
14. Tsakalides, P. and C. L. Nikias, "The robust covariation-based MUSIC (ROC-MUSIC) algorithm for bearing estimation in impulsive noise environments," IEEE Signal Process. Mag., Vol. 44, No. 7, 1623-1633, Jul. 1996.
15. Visuri, S., H. Oja, and V. Koivunen, "Subspace-based direction-of-arrival estimation using nonparametric statistics," IEEE Signal Process. Mag., Vol. 49, No. 9, 2060-2073, Sept. 2001.
16. Ying, Z. and B. P. Ng, "MUSIC-like DOA estimation without estimating the number of sources," IEEE Trans. Signal Process., Vol. 58, No. 3, 1668-1676, Mar. 2010.
17. Reddy, V. V., B. P. Ng, and A. W. H. Khong, "Insights into MUSIC-like algorithm," IEEE Trans. Signal Process., Vol. 61, No. 10, 2551-2556, May 2013.
18. Lim, H. S., B. P. Ng, and V. V. Reddy, "Generalized MUSIC-Like array processing for underwater environments," IEEE J. Ocean. Eng., Vol. 42, No. 1, 124-134, Jan. 2017.
19. Capon, J., "High-resolution frequency-wavenumber spectrum analysis," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 57, No. 8, 1408-1418, Aug. 1969.