A novel dual-band circularly-polarized slot array antenna aimed at LEO satellites communications where up-link and down-link operate at different frequencies is introduced. By using higher order modes, the slots can be placed at points where current distributions are null for the fundamental mode. According to this idea, at the receiver frequency band the slots are placed to be excited by mode TE10 currents distribution, and at the transmitting band slots are forced to radiate according to mode TE20 currents distribution. A matching load termination is used to generate the required travelling wave to obtain the circular polarization, introducing low dissipation losses. Additionally, in this investigation an antenna feeder is also designed. Both the feeder and the slot antenna array are designed using Substrate Integrated Waveguide (SIW). The use of SIW makes easier the design of the transitions from the array to the microstrip input lines and the grounded-coplanar termination as well, relaxing fabrication constraints and tolerance.
2. Barnett, R. J., "OneWeb non-geostationary satellite system," FCC, 2013.
3. Chou, H. and Y. Chen, "Phased array antenna modules with dual ports for independent transmitting and receiving beam-forming networks," IEEE APEMC, 2017.
4. Srivastava, A., R. Kumar, A. Buswas, and M. Akhtar, "Dual-band c-shaped circular slot SIW antenna," IEEE International Conference on iAIM, 2017.
5. De, R., B. B. Chowdhury, and M. Bhowmik, "A novel design of dual frequency SIW slot antenna," International Conference on Signal Processing and Integrated Networks, June 2016.
6. Yang, S., A. E. Fathy, and S. Suleiman, "Synthesis of a travelling wave slotted substrate integrated waveguide array with dual-circular polarization," IEEE International Microwave Symposium Digest, 2013.
7. Kulkarni, P. B. and D. V. D.Weide, "An X-band circularly polarized substrate integrated waveguide slot antenna," IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation, June 2016.
8. Yang, W., Q. Meng, W. Che, L. Gu, and Q. Xue, "Low-profile wideband dual-circularly polarized metasurface antenna array with large beamwidth," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 17, No. 9, 1613-1616, 2018.
9. Nouri, K., T. Bouazza, B. Boubakar, D. Mehdi, B. Kada, and S. Seghier, "Design of substrate integrated waveguide multi-band slots array antennas," International Journal of Information and Electronics Engineering, Vol. 6, No. 4, 221-225, July 2016.
10. Mohan, M. P., A. Alphones, and F. Karim, "Triple band Siw cavity backed slot antenna," IEEE Asia Pacific Microwave Conference, 2017.
11. Wu, C. T. M. and T. Itoh, "An X-band dual-mode antenna using substrate integrated waveguide cavity for simultaneous satellite and terrestrial links," IEEE Asia-Pacific Pacific Microwave Conference, 2014.
12. Martinez-Ros, A. J., M. Bozzi, and M. Pasian, "Double sided SIW leaky-wave antenna with increased directivity in the E-plane," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 66, No. 6, 3130-3135, 2018.
13. Du, M., J. Xu, Y. Dong, and X. Ding, "LTCC SIW-vertical fed-dipole array fed by a microstrip network with tapered microstrip-to-SIW transitions for wideband millimeter-wave applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Prop. Letters, Vol. 16, 1953-1956, 2017.
14. Cheng, Y. J., K. Wu, and W. Hong, "Substrate integrated waveguide (SIW) broadband compensating phase shifter," IEEE International Microwave Symposium Digest, July 2009.
15. Stanculovic, S., "Theoretical synthesis and experimental measurements for slotted waveguide feeding systems for 2.45GHz industrial microwave heating installations,", December 2006.