In this paper, a novel miniaturized frequency selective surface (MFSS) with capacitive loading is proposed; it has characteristics of low profile, second-order, wide-band, and remarkable wide stop-band properties. In a specific frequency band, the proposed MFSS has a second-order filter function characteristic. The proposed MFSS is composed of three metallic layers separated by two dielectric substrates, which offers the spatial form of the second order microwave filter. The band and operating frequency can be controlled by the thickness of dielectric substrates and the gaps between the capacitive loading structures. The element size is smaller than 0.05λ x 0.05λ. The element thickness is less than λ/30, where λ is the free space wavelength at the resonant frequency. The frequency response produced by the proposed MFSS had very good stability when the plane wave incidence angles varied from 0 to 60 degrees. The fundamental frequency f0 is 2.45 GHz; the relative bandwidth δ is 10%; and the stop-band is from 3 GHz to 39.6 GHz. The frequency response demonstrates the excellent filtering performance.
2. Lalbakhsh, A., M. U. Afzal, and K. P. Esselle, "Multi-objective particle swarm optimization to design a time-delay equalizer metasurface for an electromagnetic band-gap resonator antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, No. 4, 912-915, Apr. 2017.
3. Ma, X., C. Huang, W. Pan, B. Zhao, J. Cui, and X. Luo, "A dual circularly polarized horn antenna in Ku-band based on chiral metamaterial," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 62, No. 4, 2307-2311, Apr. 2014.
4. Huang, C., W. Pan, and X. Luo, "Low-loss circularly polarized transmit array for beam steering application," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 64, No. 10, 4471-4476, Oct. 2016.
5. Liu, Z., S. Jie, H. Ma, X.-Y. Zhang, and B. Xing, "A novel dual-passband net-shaped FSS structure used for MIMO antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 90, 29-39, 2019.
6. Russo, I., L. Boccia, G. Amendola, and G. D. Massa, "Tunable pass-band FSS for beam steering applications," Proceedings of the Fourth European Conference on Antennas and Propagation, 1-4, Barcelona, 2010.
7. Yan, M. B., S. B. Qu, and J. F. Wang, "A novel miniaturized frequency selective surface with stable resonance," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 13, No. 4, 639-641, Apr. 2014.
8. Xu, R., H. Zhao, Z. Zong, and W. Wu, "Dual-band capacitive loaded frequency selective surfaces with close band spacing," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 18, No. 12, 782-784, Dec. 2008.
9. Hu, X. D., X. L. Zhou, L. S. Wu, L. Zhou, and W. Y. Yin, "A miniaturized dual-band frequency selective surface (FSS) with closed loop and its complementary pattern," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 8, No. 12, 1374-1377, Dec. 2009.
10. Al-Joumayly, M. A. and N. Behdad, "Low-profile, highly-selective, dual-band frequency selective surfaces with closely spaced bands of operation," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 12, 4042-4050, Dec. 2010.
11. Ghosh, S. and K. V. Srivastava, "An angularly stable dual-band FSS with closely spaced resonances using miniaturized unit cell," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 27, No. 3, 218-220, Mar. 2017.
12. Matthaei, G. J., L. Yang, and E. M. Jones, Microwave Filters, Impedance Matching Networks and Coupling Structures, MeGraw-Hill, New York, 1964.
13. Pang, H. K., K. M. Ho, and K.W. Tam, "A compact microstrip lambda/4 SIR interdigital bandpass filter with extend stopband," IEEE Microwave Symposium Digest, Vol. 3, No. 6, 1621-1624, 2004.
14. Kuo, J. T. and E. Shih, "Stepped impedance resonator bandpass filters with tunable transmission zeros and its applications to wide stopband design," IEEE Microwave Symposium Digest, Vol. 3, No. 7, 1613-1616, 2002.
15. Campos, A. L. P. S. and R. H. C. Manicoba, "Analysis of simple FSS cascading with dual band response," IEEE Transaction on Magnetics, Vol. 46, No. 8, 3345-3348, Aug. 2010.
16. Quendo, C., E. Rius, C. Person, and M. Ney, "Integration of optimized low-pass filters in a bandpass filter for out-of-band improvement," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 49, No. 12, 2376-2383, Dec. 2001.
17. Tang, C. W. and M. G. Chen, "A microstrip ultra-wide band bandpass filter with cascaded broad band band pass and bandstop filters," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 55, No. 11, 2412-2418, Nov. 2007.
18. Gao, M., S. M. A. M. H. Abadi, and N. Behdad, "A dual-band, inductively coupled miniaturized element frequency selective surface with higher order bandpass response," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 64, No. 8, 3729-3734, Aug. 2016.
19. Gao, M., S. M. A. M. H. Abadi, and N. Behdad, "A hybrid miniaturized-element frequency selective surface with a third-order bandpass response," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, No. 3, 708-711, Mar. 2017.
20. Hussein, M., J. F. Zhou, Y. Huang, and B. Al-Juboori, "A low-profile miniaturized second-order bandpass frequency selective surface," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 16, No. 12, 2791-2794, Oct. 2017.