A dual-band antenna operating in dual bands is presented. The antenna is composed of two substrate layers covered with three printed patch layers. The top layer is an electrically small ring; the middle consists of four spiral resonators (SRs); and the bottom is a split-ring resonator (SRR). Inductive couplings between layers change the radiation Q factor of the original ring antenna and promote resonating modes in UHF and S bands. Besides, the input matching property is also improved. The measured return loss agrees well with the calculated results, and the radiation patterns are also presented. From experiments it is found that the proposed antenna is electrically small at operation dual-bands.
2. Peng, L., P. Chen, A. Wu, and G. Wang, "Efficient radiation by electrically small antennas made of coupled split-ring resonators," Scientific Reports, Vol. 6, 33501, 2016.
3. Wang, L., M. Q. Yuan, and Q. H. Liu, "A dual-band printed electrically small antenna covered by two capacitive split-ring resonators," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 824-826, 2011.
4. Peng, L., et al., "Wideband radiation from an offset-fed split ring resonator with multi-order resonances," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 17, No. 12, 2198-2202, 2018.
5. Tang, M. C., B. Zhou, Y. Duan, X. Chen, and R. W. Ziolkowski, "Pattern-reconfigurable, flexible, wideband, directive, electrically small near-field resonant parasitic antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 66, No. 5, 2271-2280, 2018.
6. Sharma, S. K., M. A. Abdalla, and Z. Hu, "Miniaturisation of an electrically small metamaterial inspired antenna using additional conducting layer," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 12, No. 8, 1444-1449, 2018.
7. Rezaeieh, S. A., M. Antoniades, and A. M. Abbosh, "Compact wideband loop antenna partially loaded with Mu-negative metamaterial unit cells for directivity enhancement," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 14, 1018-1021, 2015.
8. Park, J.-H., Y.-H. Ryu, and J.-H. Lee, "Mu-zero resonance antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 6, 1865-1875, 2010.
9. Tang, M. C., Z. Wu, T. Shi, and R. W. Ziolkowski, "Electrically small, low-profile, planar, Huygens dipole antenna with quad-polarization diversity," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 66, No. 12, 6772-6780, 2018.
10. Rahimi, M., F. B. Zarrabi, R. Ahmadian, Z. Mansouri, and A. Keshtkar, "Miniaturization of antenna for wireless application with difference metamaterial structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 145, 19-29, 2014.
11. Harrington, R. F., "Effect of antenna size on gain, bandwidth, and efficiency," J. Res. National Bureau of Standards, D. Radio Propag., Vol. 64D, No. 1, 1-12, 1960.