A highly sensitive temperature sensor based on a polymer cavity of a Fabry-Perot interferometer (FPI) is experimentally demonstrated. The interferometer gives ease in fabrication, and it can be formed by the induction of a thermos-sensitive polymer layer in between two single mode fibers (SMFs). The polymer is used as an FPI cavity for temperature sensing. Due to high thermal expansion coefficient (TEC) and thermos-optic coefficient (TOC) of polymer make the interferometer highly sensitive to ambient temperature. The maximum temperature sensitivity of 2.2209 nm/°C for the polymer FPI cavity of 40.61 µm in the ambient temperature range of 28°C to 34°C is obtained. The proposed sensor shows the advantages of high sensitivity, compactness, simple fabrication, and low cost. Thus, it may become a part of various practical applications in the field of environmental science and engineering sciences.
2. Li, X., L. V. Nguyen, M. Becker, H. Ebendorff-Heidepriem, D. Pham, and S. Warren-Smith, "Simultaneous measurement of temperature and refractive index using an exposed core microstructured optical fiber," IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics, Vol. 26, No. 4, 1-7, 2019.
3. Yu , J., S. Xu, Y. Jiang, H. Chen, and W. Feng, "Multi-parameter sensor based on the fiber Bragg grating combined with triangular-lattice four-core fiber," Optik, Vol. 208, 164094, 2020.
4. Zhang, W., Y. Liu, T. Zhang, D. Yang, Y. Wang, and D. Yu, "Integrated fiber-optic Fabry-Perot interferometer sensor for simultaneous measurement of liquid refractive index and temperature," IEEE Sensors Journal, Vol. 19, No. 13, 5007-5013, 2019.
5. Cao, X., D. Tian, Y. Liu, L. Zhang, and T. Wang, "Sensing characteristics of helical long-period gratings written in the double-clad fiber by CO2 laser," IEEE Sensors Journal, Vol. 18, No. 18, 7481-7485, 2018.
6. Li, Z., Y.-X. Zhang, W.-G. Zhang, L.-X. Kong, and T.-Y. Yan, "Micro-cap on 2-core-fiber facet hybrid interferometer for dual-parameter sensing," Journal of Lightwave Technology, Vol. 37, No. 24, 6114-6120, 2019.
7. Rao, Y.-J., Y.-P. Wang, Z.-L. Ran, and T. Zhu, "Novel fiber-optic sensors based on long-period fiber gratings written by high-frequency CO2 laser pulses," Journal of Lightwave Technology, Vol. 21, No. 5, 1320, 2003.
8. Zheng, Z.-M., Y.-S. Yu, X.-Y. Zhang, Q. Guo, and H.-B. Sun, "Femtosecond laser inscribed small-period long-period fiber gratings with dual-parameter sensing," IEEE Sensors Journal, Vol. 18, No. 3, 1100-1103, 2017.
9. Tian, K., et al., "Simultaneous measurement of displacement and temperature based on two cascaded balloon-like bent fibre structures," Optical Fiber Technology, Vol. 58, 102277, 2020.
10. Yi, D., Z. Huo, Y. Geng, X. Li, and X. Hong, "PDMS-coated no-core fiber interferometer with enhanced sensitivity for temperature monitoring applications," Optical Fiber Technology, Vol. 57, 102185, 2020.
11. Gong, J., et al., "High sensitivity fiber temperature sensor based PDMS film on Mach-Zehnder interferometer," Optical Fiber Technology, Vol. 53, 102029, 2019.
12. Huang, B., et al., "In-fiber Mach-Zehnder interferometer exploiting a micro-cavity for strain and temperature simultaneous measurement," IEEE Sensors Journal, Vol. 19, No. 14, 5632-5638, 2019.
13. Lei, X., Y. Feng, and X. Dong, "High-temperature sensor based on a special thin-diameter fiber," Optics Communications, Vol. 463, 125386, 2020.
14. Tong, R.-J., Y. Zhao, H.-K. Zheng, and F. Xia, "Simultaneous measurement of temperature and relative humidity by compact Mach-Zehnder interferometer and Fabry-Perot interferometer," Measurement, Vol. 155, 107499, 2020.
15. Wang, J., C. Bian, T. Gang, and M. Hu, "High-sensitive Mach-Zehnder interferometer for humidity measurements based on concatenating single-mode concave cone and core-offset," Optik, Vol. 208, 164465, 2020.
16. Wang, Z., L. Huang, C. Liu, H. Wang, S. Sun, and D. Yang, "Sensitivity-enhanced fiber temperature sensor based on vernier effect and dual in-line Mach-Zehnder interferometers," IEEE Sensors Journal, Vol. 19, No. 18, 7983-7987, 2019.
17. Qi, K., Y. Zhang, J. Sun, G. J. O. Yi, and L. Technology, "All-fiber high temperature and refractive index sensor based on three microspheres array Michelson interferometer," Optics Laser Technology, Vol. 129, 106300, 2020.
18. Sun, H., M. Shao, L. Han, J. Liang, R. Zhang, and H. Fu, "Large core-offset based in-fiber Michelson interferometer for humidity sensing," Optical Fiber Technology, Vol. 55, 102153, 2020.
19. Domınguez-Flores, C. E., et al., "Real-time temperature sensor based on in-fiber Fabry–Perot interferometer embedded in a resin," Journal of Lightwave Technology, Vol. 37, No. 4, 1084-2019, 2019.
20. Lei, X. and X. Dong, "High-sensitivity Fabry-Perot interferometer high-temperature fiber sensor based on vernier effect," IEEE Sensors Journal, Vol. 20, No. 10, 5292-5297, 2020.
21. Liu, Y., et al., "Hollow-core fiber-based all-fiber FPI sensor for simultaneous measurement of air pressure and temperature," IEEE Sensors Journal, Vol. 19, No. 23, 11236-11241, 2019.
22. Yang, D., et al., "Integrated optic-fiber sensor based on enclosed EFPI and structural phase-shift for discriminating measurement of temperature, pressure and RI," Optics Laser Technology, Vol. 126, 106112, 2020.
23. Zhu, C., Y. Zhuang, B. Zhang, R. Muhammad, P. P. Wang, and J. Huang, "A miniaturized optical fiber tip high-temperature sensor based on concave-shaped Fabry-Perot cavity," IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, Vol. 31, No. 1, 35-38, 2018.
24. Cheng, H., S. Wu, Q. Wang, S. Wang, and P. Lu, "In-line hybrid fiber sensor for curvature and temperature measurement," IEEE Photonics Journal, Vol. 11, No. 6, 1-11, 2019.
25. Xu, H., M. Hafezi, J. Fan, J. M. Taylor, G. F. Strouse, and Z. Ahmed, "Ultra-sensitive chip-based photonic temperature sensor using ring resonator structures," Optics Express, Vol. 22, No. 3, 3098-3104, 2014.
26. Liu, Y., S. Li, H. Chen, J. Li, W. Zhang, and M. Wang, "Surface plasmon resonance induced high sensitivity temperature and refractive index sensor based on evanescent field enhanced photonic crystal fiber," Journal of Lightwave Technology, Vol. 38, No. 4, 919-928, 2019.
27. Bai, Y., Y. Miao, H. Zhang, and J. Q. Yao, "Simultaneous measurement of temperature and relative humidity based on a microfiber sagnac loop and MoS2," Journal of Lightwave Technology, Vol. 38, No. 4, 840-845, 2020.
28. Yin, J., et al., "Assembly-free-based fiber-optic micro-Michelson interferometer for high temperature sensing," IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, Vol. 28, No. 6, 625-628, 2015.
29. Hernandez-Romano, I., D. Monzon-Hernandez, C. Moreno-Hernandez, D. Moreno-Hernandez, and J. Villatoro, "Highly sensitive temperature sensor based on a polymer-coated microfiber interferometer," IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, Vol. 27, No. 24, 2591-2594, 2015.
30. Li, J.-X., Z.-R. Tong, L. Jing, W.-H. Zhang, J. Qin, J.-W. J. O. C. Liu, and , "Fiber temperature and humidity sensor based on photonic crystal fiber coated with graphene oxide," Optics Communications, Vol. 467, 125707, 2020.
31. Sun, H., et al., "A hybrid fiber interferometer for simultaneous refractive index and temperature measurements based on Fabry-Perot/Michelson interference," IEEE Sensors Journal, Vol. 13, No. 5, 2039-2044, 2013.
32. Salunkhe, T. T., D. J. Lee, H. K. Lee, H. W. Choi, S. J. Park, and I. T. Kim, "Enhancing temperature sensitivity of the Fabry-P´erot interferometer sensor with optimization of the coating thickness of polystyrene," Sensors, Vol. 20, No. 3, 794, 2020.
33. Liu, Y., et al., "Fabrication of dual-parameter fiber-optic sensor by cascading FBG with FPI for simultaneous measurement of temperature and gas pressure," Optics Communications, Vol. 443, 166-171, 2019.
34. Zhao, Y., et al., "An integrated fiber michelson interferometer based on twin-core and side-hole fibers for multiparameter sensing," Journal of Lightwave Technology, Vol. 36, No. 4, 993-997, 2017.