A low-profile half-mode substrate integrated waveguide (HMSIW) filtering antenna with high frequency selectivity is proposed in this letter. The proposed antenna with a height of 0.014λ0 (λ0 is the free-space wavelength) consists of a slot-loaded HMSIW cavity, two parasitic patches, and five shorting pins. An upper-edge radiation null is generated by the interaction between the HMSIW cavity and parasitic patches. A rectangular slot etched on the HMSIW cavity is adopted to generate another null to improve the filtering performances at the upper stopband. Besides, the radiation in the lower stopband is suppressed by two nulls which emerge due to placing shorting pins under two parasitic patches. Thus, four radiation nulls can be obtained to enhance the frequency selectivity. The measured results illustrate that the proposed antenna provides an impedance bandwidth of 4.3% ranging from 2.74 to 2.86 GHz and a peak gain of 6.76 dBi during the operating frequency band. Moreover, four radiation nulls appear at 2.34, 2.56, 3, and 3.24 GHz in the lower and upper stopbands.
2. Hu, P. F., Y. M. Pan, and X. Y. Zhang, "Broadband filtering dielectric resonator antenna with wide stopband," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 65, No. 4, 2079-2084, Apr. 2017.
3. Chu, H., H. Hong, and X. H. Zhu, "Implementation of synthetic material in dielectric resonatorbased filtering antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 66, No. 7, 3690-3695, Jul. 2018.
4. Tang, H., C. W. Tong, and J. X. Chen, "Differential dual-polarized filtering dielectric resonator antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 66, No. 8, 4298-4302, Aug. 2018.
5. Hu, P. F., Y. M. Pan, and X. Y. Zhang, "A compact quasi-isotropic dielectric resonator antenna with filtering response," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 67, No. 2, 1294-1299, Feb. 2019.
6. Gao, Y., Y. C. Jiao, and Z. B. Weng, "A filtering dielectric resonator antenna with high band-edge selectivity," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 89, 63-71, 2020.
7. Wang, Y., Y. L. Chen, and J. F. Qian, "A dual-mode resonator-fed gap coupled filtering antenna with improved selectivity and bandwidth," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 87, 137-143, 2019.
8. Liu, G., Y. M. Pan, and X. Y. Zhan, "Compact filtering patch antenna arrays for marine communications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 69, No. 10, 11408-11418, Oct. 2020.
9. Hu, H. T., F. C. Chen, and Q. X. Chu, "Novel broadband filtering slotline antennas excited by multimode resonators," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 16, 489-492, 2017.
10. Mao, C. X., S. Gao, and Y. Wang, "Dual-band patch antenna with filtering performance and harmonic suppression," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 64, No. 9, 4074-4077, Sep. 2016.
11. Hsieh, C. Y., C. H. Wu, and T. G. Ma, "A compact dual-band filtering patch antenna using step impedance resonators," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 14, 1056-1059, 2015.
12. Chu, H., C. Jin, and J. X. Chen, "A 3-D millimeter-wave filtering antenna with high selectivity and low cross-polarization," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 63, No. 5, 2375-2380, May 2015.
13. Liu, Q., D. F. Zhou, and J. Shi, "High-selective triple-mode SIW bandpass filter using higher-order resonant modes," Electronics Letters, Vol. 56, No. 1, 37-39, Jan. 2020.
14. Liu, X., X. F. Zhang, and K. Xu, "A filtering antenna with high frequency selectivity using stacked dual-slotted substrate integrated cavities," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 19, No. 8, 1311-1315, Aug. 2020.
15. Hua, C. Z., X. Y. Jin, and M. Liu, "Design of compact vertically stacked SIW end-fire filtering antennas with transmission zeros," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 87, 67-73, 2019.
16. Fan, C., B. Wu, and Y. L. Wang, "High-gain SIW filtering antenna with low H-plane cross polarization and controllable radiation nulls," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 69, No. 4, 2336-2340, Apr. 2021.
17. Xu, K., J. Shi, and X. M. Qing, "A substrate integrated cavity backed filtering slot antenna stacked with a patch for frequency selectivity enhancement," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 17, No. 10, 1910-1914, Oct. 2018.
18. Niu, B. J. and J. H. Tan, "Dual-layer SIW cavity filtering antenna with a controllable radiation band and two radiation nulls," Electronics Letters, Vol. 55, No. 13, 723-724, Jun. 2019.
19. Yusuf, Y., H. T. Cheng, and X. Gong, "A seamless integration of 3-D vertical filters with highly efficient slot antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 59, No. 11, 4016-4022, Nov. 2011.
20. Liu, Q., D. F. Zhou, and D. L. Lv, "Realisation of compact quasi-elliptic bandpass filters based on coupled eighth-mode SIW cavities," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 13, No. 13, 2256-2263, Jul. 2019.
21. Deng, H. W., L. Sun, and Y. F. Xue, "High selectivity and common-mode suppression balanced bandpass filter with TM dual-mode SIW cavity," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 13, No. 12, 2129-2133, Jul. 2019.
22. Dhwaj, K., X. Q. Li, and L. J. Jiang, "Low-profile diplexing filter/antenna based on common radiating cavity with quasi-elliptic response," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 17, No. 10, 1783-1787, Oct. 2018.
23. Liu, Q. W., L. Zhu, and J. P. Wang, "A wideband patch and SIW cavity hybrid antenna with filtering response," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 19, No. 5, 836-840, May 2020.
24. Li, P. K., C. J. You, and H. F. Yu, "Codesigned high-efficiency single-layered substrate integrated waveguide filtering antenna with a controllable radiation null," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 17, No. 2, 295-298, Feb. 2018.
25. Hu, K. Z., M. C. Tang, and D. J. Li, "Design of compact, single-layered substrate integrated waveguide filtenna with parasitic patch," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 68, No. 2, 1134-1139, Feb. 2020.
26. Hong, W., et al., "Half mode substrate integrated waveguide: A new guided wave structure for microwave and millimeter wave application," Joint 31st Int. Conf. on Infrared and Millimeter Waves and 14th Int. Conf. on Terahertz Electronics, Shanghai, Sept. 18–22, 2006.
27. Zhou, K., C.-X. Zhou, and W. Wu, "Resonance characteristics of substrate-integrated rectangular cavity and their applications to dualband and wide-stopband bandpass filters design," IEEE Trans. Microw Theory Techn., Vol. 65, No. 5, 1511-1524, May 2017.
28. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design, 3rd Edition, Wiley, New York, NY, USA, 2005.
29. Li, L., D. Pang, and Y. B. Feng, "A low-profile third-order half-mode SIW filtering antenna with low H-plane cross polarization and good sideband suppression," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 18, 2503-2507, 2019.