In this letter, a new bandpass frequency selective surface (FSS) with sharp sidebands is proposed to suppress electromagnetic interferences caused by the fifth generation (5G) mobile communication to fixed C-band satellite system. The proposed design is composed of three cascaded layers separated by air space, whose unit cell geometry comprises metal square loops, square slots and their evolvement. As the overall configuration yields high-order bandpass characteristics with multiple transmission poles and zeros, a flat passband covering 3.7-4.2 GHz is obtained, while the out-of-band shielding effectiveness mostly remains better than 20 dB over frequency lower than 6.5 GHz. Good angular stability and polarization independency are also achieved due to structural symmetry. A prototype was fabricated and measured, whose results agree well with the full-wave simulation.
2. Guidolin, F. and M. Nekovee, "Investigating spectrum sharing between 5G millimeter wave networks and fixed satellite systems," IEEE Globecom Workshops (GC Wkshps), 1-7, 2015.
3. Qu, M., Y. F. Feng, and J. Su, S. M. A. Shah, "Investigating spectrum sharing between 5G millimeter wave networks and fixed satellite systems," IEEE Globecom Workshops (GC Wkshps), 1-7, 2015.
4. Zhang, J. H., L. P. Yan, R. Gao, C. G. Wang, and X. Zhao, "A novel 3D ultra-wide stopband frequency selective surface for 5G electromagnetic shielding," 2020 International Symposium on Electromagnetic Compatibility --- EMC EUROPE, 1-4, 2020.
5. Yew, C. E., C. Y. Choon, M. Y. Alias, and L. S.Wei, "Fixed satellite service and broadband wireless access interference analysis in the extended C-band," 2011 IFIP Wireless Days (WD), 1-3, 2011. doi:10.1109/TEMC.2016.2634279
6. Li, D., T. W. Li, R. Hao, H. S. Chen, W. Y. Yin, H. C. Yu, and E. P. Li, "A low-profile broadband bandpass frequency selective surface with two rapid band edges for 5G near-field applications," IEEE Trans. Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 59, No. 2, 670-676, 2017. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2019.2905196
7. Krushna, K. V. and S. Raghavan, "EM design and analysis of frequency selective surface based on substrate-integrated waveguide technology for airborne radome application," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Techn., Vol. 67, No. 5, 1727-1739, 2019. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2019.0377
8. Krushna, K. V. and S. Raghavan, "Design of SIW cavity models to control the bandwidth of frequency selective surface," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 13, No. 14, 2515-2524, 2019. doi:10.1109/TAP.2016.2634281
9. Yang, L. L., X. C. Wei, D. Yi, and J. M. Jin, "A bandpass frequency selective surface with a low cross-polarization based on cavities with a hybrid boundary," IEEE Trans. Antennas Prppag., Vol. 65, No. 2, 654-661, 2017.
10. Li, B. and Z. X. Shen, "Three-dimensional bandpass frequency-selective structures with multiple transmission zeros," IEEE Trans. Antennas Prppag., Vol. 61, No. 10, 3578-3589, 2013. doi:10.1109/TAP.2013.2250237
11. Li, B. and Z. X. Shen, "Synthesis of quasi-elliptic bandpass frequency-selective surface using cascaded loop arrays," IEEE Trans. Antennas Prppag., Vol. 61, No. 6, 3053-3059, 2013. doi:10.1109/TAP.2018.2794386
12. Zhu, J. P., W. C. Tang, C. Wang, C. Huang, and Y. R. Shi, "Dual-polarized bandpass frequency-selective surface with quasi-elliptic response based on square coaxial waveguide," IEEE Trans. Antennas Prppag., Vol. 66, No. 3, 1331-1339, 2018. doi:10.1109/MAP.2014.6867682
13. Rashid, A. K., B. Li, and Z. X. Shen, "An overview of three-dimensional frequency-selective structures," IEEE Antennas Propag. Magazine, Vol. 56, No. 3, 43-67, 2014. doi:10.1109/TAP.2020.3026863
14. Xie, J. M., B. Li, Y. P. Lyu, and L. Zhu, "Single- and dual-band high-order bandpass frequency selective surfaces based on aperture-coupled dual-mode patch resonators," IEEE Trans. Antennas Prppag., Vol. 69, No. 4, 2130-2141, 2021. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2016.2557325
15. Wang, D. S., P. Zhao, and C. H. Chan, "Design and analysis of a high-selectivity frequency-selective surface at 60 GHz," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Techn., Vol. 64, No. 6, 1694-1703, 2016. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2020.3041761
16. Ye, H., W. T. Dai, X. Chen, H. Zhang, S. W. Bie, and J. J. Jiang, "High-selectivity frequency-selective rasorber based on low-profile bandpass filter," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 20, No. 2, 150-154, 2021.