In this letter, a 120-220 GHz fourth-harmonic mixer based on Schottky diodes is presented. To broaden the bandwidth, a novel diplexer is proposed, which consists of two low-pass filters (LPFs) and a beam lead capacitor. Thanks to the high-pass characteristic of capacitor, the 30-55 GHz local oscillator (LO) signal is efficiently pumped to the diodes. Moreover, a two-level hammer-head configuration is adopted at the LO LPF to block the 120-220 GHz radio frequency (RF) signal. Finally, a 120-220 GHz fourth-harmonic mixer is fabricated and measured. The measurement results show that the conversion loss ranges from 12 to 18 dB within a wide RF relative bandwidth of 58.8%.
"Design of a 120-220 GHz
Fourth-Harmonic Mixer," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters,
Vol. 103, 31-38, 2022. doi:10.2528/PIERL21121401
1. Waliwander, T., et al., "Sub-millimeter wave 183 GHz and 366 GHz MMIC membrane sub-harmonic mixers," 2011 IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium, 1-4, 2011.
2. Cui, J., et al., "A 220 GHz broadband sub-harmonic mixer based on global design method," IEEE Access, Vol. 7, 30067-30078, 2019. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2019.2902482
3. Yang, Y., B. Zhang, D. Ji, X. Zhao, Y. Fan, and X. Chen, "Development of a wideband 220-GHz subharmonic mixer based on GaAs monolithic integration technology," IEEE Access, Vol. 8, 31214-31226, 2020. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2020.2973399
4. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, 4th Ed., Wiley, New York, 2005.
5. Chen, Z., B. Zhang, Y. Fan, and Y. Yuan, "Design of a low noise 190-240 GHz subharmonic mixer based on 3D geometric modeling of Schottky diodes and CAD load-pull techniques," IEICE Electron. Esp., Vol. 13, No. 16, Art. No. 20160604, 2016. doi:10.1587/elex.13.20160604
6. Maestrojuan, I., I. Palacios, I. Ederra, and R. Gonzalo, "Use of COC substrates for millimeter-wave devices," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 57, No. 2, 371-377, Feb. 2015. doi:10.1002/mop.28848
7. Hu, H., X. Ma, S. Jiang, and H. Xie, "Schottky diode based 220 GHz receivers operating at room-temperature for passive security scanning," 2019 4th International Conference on Infrared, Millimeter, and Terahertz Wave (IRMMW-THz), 1-2, 2019.