A novel and compact microstrip-line fed printed antenna for wideband circular polarization (CP) radiation is proposed. The designed antenna utilizes a crescent-shaped substrate, rotated L-shaped monopole, and defected ground structure (DGS) to achieve a wide 3-dB axial ratio (AR) bandwidth and 10-dB impedance bandwidth (ZBW) across the entire 5 GHz Wireless Local Area Network (WLAN) and Vehicle to Everything (V2X) operational bands. As the substrate of the proposed antenna is only 0.8 mm thick, it has a very low profile of 0.014λ in terms of free space wavelength (λ) at 5.5 GHz. The proposed CP antenna exhibits overlapping 10-dB ZBW and 3-dB AR bandwidth (ARBW) of 22.05% (4.80-5.99 GHz), along with broadside far-field patterns, gain greater than 2.5 dBi and efficiency above 85%throughout the desired operating band. Therefore, it is a good candidate for WLAN and V2X communication applications.
1. Han, R. C. and S. S. Zhong, "Broadband circularly-polarised chifre-shaped monopole antenna with asymmetric feed," Electron. Lett., Vol. 52, No. 4, 256-258, Feb. 2016. doi:10.1049/el.2015.3319
2. Ge, L., C. Y. D. Sim, H. L. Su, J. Y. Lu, and C. Ku, "Single-layer dual-broadband circularly polarised annular-slot antenna for WLAN applications," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 12, No. 1, 99-107, 2018. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2017.0203
3. Altaf, A. and M. Seo, "Dual-band circularly polarized dielectric resonator antenna for WLAN and WiMAX applications," Sensors, Vol. 20, No. 4, 1137, Feb. 2020. doi:10.3390/s20041137
4. Deshmukh, A. A. and A. A. Odhekar, "Dual band circularly polarized modified Ψ-shape microstrip antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 115, 161-174, 2021. doi:10.2528/PIERC21062803
5. Rasool, N., H. Kama, M. Abdul Basit, and M. Abdullah, "A low profile high gain ultra lightweight circularly polarized annular ring slot antenna for airborne and airship applications," IEEE Access, Vol. 7, 155048-155056, 2019. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2019.2949683
6. Mondal, T., S. Maity, R. Ghatak, and S. R. B. Chaudhuri, "Design and analysis of a wideband circularly polarised perturbed psi-shaped antenna," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 12, No. 9, 1582-1586, 2018. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2017.0569
7. Saraswat, K. and A. R. Harish, "A dual band circularly polarized 45◦ rotated rectangular slot antenna with parasitic patch," International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 123, 2020.
8. Mathew, S., R. Anitha, P. V. Vinesh, and K. Vasudevan, "Circularly polarized sector-shaped patch antenna for WLAN applications," Procedia Computer Science, Vol. 46, 1274-1277, 2015. doi:10.1016/j.procs.2015.01.050
9. Wei, K., J. Y. Li, L. Wang, R. Xu, and Z. J. Xing, "A new technique to design circularly polarized microstrip antenna by fractal defected ground structure," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 65, No. 7, 3721-3725, Jul. 2017. doi:10.1109/TAP.2017.2700226
10. Niyamanon, S., R. Senathong, and C. Phongcharoenpanich, "Dual-frequency circularly polarized truncated square aperture patch antenna with slant strip and L-shaped slot for WLAN applications," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2018, 1-11, 2018. doi:10.1155/2018/7684742
11. Singh, V., B. Mishra, and R. Singh, "Anchor shape gap coupled patch antenna for WiMAX and WLAN applications," COMPEL --- Int. J. Comput. Math., Vol. 38, 263-286, 2019.
12. Midya, M., S. Bhattacharjee, and M. Mitra, "Compact CPW-fed circularly polarized antenna for WLAN application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 67, 65-73, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERM18021505
13. Fu, Q., Q. Feng, and H. Chen, "Design and optimization of CPW-fed broadband circularly polarized antenna for multiple communication systems," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 99, 65-74, 2021. doi:10.2528/PIERL21062205
14. Srivastava, K., B. Mishra, and R. Singh, "Microstrip-line-fed inverted L-shaped circularly polarized antenna for C-band applications," International Journal of Microwave and Wireless Technologies, 1-9, 2021. doi:10.1017/S1759078721000635
15. Yu, Z., L. Huang, Q. Gao, and B. He, "A compact dual-band wideband circularly polarized microstrip antenna for sub-6G application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 100, 99-107, 2021. doi:10.2528/PIERL21082702
16. Mohanty, A. and B. R. Behera, "Dynamically switched dual-band dual-polarized dual-sense low-profile compact slot circularly polarized antenna assisted with high gain reflector for sub-6 GHz and X-band applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 110, 197-212, 2021. doi:10.2528/PIERC21010505
17. Praveen Kumar, P. C. and P. T. Rao, "Frequency-tunable circularly polarized twin dual folded inverted-L antenna with varactor-loaded split-ring resonator structures," Int. J. Commun. Syst., e4715, 2021.
18. Huang, H. F. and B. Wang, "A circularly polarized slot antenna with enhanced axial ratio bandwidth," 2017 Sixth Asia-Pacic Conference on Antennas and Propagation (APCAP), 1-3, 2017.
19. CST-Computer Simulation Technology Studio Suite, , 2017, https://www.cst.com2017.
20. Kulkarni, J., "Multi-band printed monopole antenna conforming bandwidth requirement of GSM/WLAN/WiMAX standards," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 91, 59-66, 2020. doi:10.2528/PIERL20032104