In this article, a miniaturized, dual-polarized corner-fed microstrip antenna is designed and fabricated at 1.43 GHz for Low Earth Orbit (LEO) Satellite applications. The antenna adopts a Complementary Split-Ring Resonator (CSRR)-inspired structure and slotted patch to achieve miniaturization. This reduces the patch size by 39.4%. Meandered impedance-transforming lines are placed for impedance tuning, and its benefit is demonstrated by both simulated and measured S11 curves reaching lower than -20 dB. Feeding at corner increases its isolation to -25 dB over the whole bandwidth of 40 MHz and reaches lower than -33 dB at the resonant frequency. The antenna is fabricated and tested. Measured results are generally in good agreement with simulations.
1. Ghosh, C. K., et al., "Slotted microstrip antenna for miniaturization," 2020 National Conference on Emerging Trends on Sustainable Technology and Engineering Applications (NCETSTEA), 1-4, 2020, doi: 10.1109/NCETSTEA48365.2020.9119935.
2. Verma, R. and S. Kumar, "Design and analysis of fractal geometry loaded microstrip patch antenna," 2020 IEEE 5th International Conference on Computing Communication and Automation (ICCCA), 243-247, 2020, doi: 10.1109/ICCCA49541.2020.9250848. doi:10.1109/ICCCA49541.2020.9250848
3. Vani, H. R., M. A. Goutham, and Paramesha, "Comparative study of square and circular split ring resonator metamaterial for patch antenna miniaturization for C-band wireless applications," 2019 International Conference on Recent Advances in Energy-efficient Computing and Communication (ICRAECC), 1-2, 2019, doi: 10.1109/ICRAECC43874.2019.8995105.
4. Nawaz, H. and I. Tekin, "Three ports microstrip patch antenna with dual linear and linear co-polarisation characteristics," Electron. Lett., Vol. 53, No. 8, 518-520, 2017. doi:10.1049/el.2016.2923
5. Yang, H., Y. Fan, and X. Liu, "A compact dual-band stacked patch antenna with dual circular polarizations for beidou navigation satellite systems," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 18, No. 7, 1472-1476, July 2019, doi: 10.1109/LAWP.2019.2920265. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2019.2920265
6. Long, J. and D. F. Sievenpiper, "A compact broadband dual-polarized patch antenna for satellite communication/navigation applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 14, 273-276, 2015, doi: 10.1109/LAWP.2014.2362125. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2014.2362125
7. Yang, X., Q. Feng, D. Tian, and Z. Zheng, "A wide-band dual circular polarization UHF RFID reader antenna based on miniaturized branch line coupler," 2018 Progress in Electromagnetics Research Symposium (PIERS-Toyama), 1290-1294, Toyama, Japan, Aug. 1-4, 2018.
8. Chen, S. J., W. Withayachumnankul, Y. Monnai, and C. Fumeaux, "Linear series-fed patch array with dual circular polarization or arbitrary linear polarization," 2019 International Conference on Electromagnetics in Advanced Applications (ICEAA), 0365-0369, 2019, doi: 10.1109/ICEAA.2019.8879041. doi:10.1109/ICEAA.2019.8879041
9. Chopra, R., G. Kumar, and R. Lakhmani, "Corner fed microstrip antenna array with reduced cross polarization and side lobe level," 2016 Asia-Pacic Microwave Conference (APMC), 1-4, 2016, doi: 10.1109/APMC.2016.7931473.
10. Wang, H., X. B. Huang, and D. G. Fang, "A novel corner-fed patch to reduce cross-polarization for a microstrip antenna array," 2008 Asia-Pacic Microwave Conference, 1-4, 2008, doi: 10.1109/APMC.2008.4957951.