An ultra compact antenna for low frequency application is presented. The resonant frequency band of the proposed antenna is centered at 403.5 MHz, employed for medical implant communication service (MICS) band. The proposed antenna is designed and fabricated on a substrate with εr = 4.4, tanδ=0.02 and thickness h = 1.6 mm. The size of the antenna is only 0.04λ0 x 0.022λ0 x 0.002λ0 (29 mm x 16.5 mm x 1.6 mm), making it very compact for low frequency of operation. The antenna is evolved from a CPW transmission line. During the process of evolution of the proposed antenna, dual-composite right left handed (D-CRLH) behavior is confirmed from the dispersion diagram. The equivalent lumped circuit model for the antenna is also developed, and the D-CRLH behavior is also confirmed from the circuit model.
Basil J. Paul,
"Design of an Ultra Compact Antenna for Low Frequency Applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters,
Vol. 105, 95-102, 2022. doi:10.2528/PIERL22032103
1. Park, J.-H., Y.-H. Ryu, J.-G. Lee, and J.-H. Lee, "Epsilon negative zeroth-order resonator antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 12, 3710-3712, 2007. doi:10.1109/TAP.2007.910505
2. Baek, S. and S. Lim, "Miniaturised zeroth-order antenna on spiral slotted ground plane," Electronics Letters, Vol. 45, No. 20, 1012-1014, 2009. doi:10.1049/el.2009.2117
3. Pradeep, A., S. Mridula, and P. Mohanan, "Metamaterial based all purpose sensor antenna," International Journal on Communications Antenna and Propagation, Vol. 3, No. 3, 181-184, 2013.
4. Li, H.-P., G.-M. Wang, X.-J. Gao, and L. Zhu, "CPW-fed multiband monopole antenna loaded with DCRLH-TL unit cell," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 14, 1243-1246, 2015. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2015.2400054
5. Luo, Q., J. R. Pereira, and H. M. Salgado, "Compact printed monopole antenna with chip inductor for WLAN," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 880-883, 2011. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2011.2166049
6. Kim, T. G. and B. Lee, "Metamaterial based compact zeroth-order resonant antenna," Electronics Letters, Vol. 45, No. 1, 12-13, 2009. doi:10.1049/el:20092715
7. Jee, E. P. and Y. Jee, "Compact dual-band CPW-fed zeroth-order resonant monopole antennas," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, 712-715, 2012. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2012.2205212
8. Garcia-Miquel, A., S. Curto, N. Vidal, J. M. Lopez-Villegas, F. M. Ramos, and P. Prakash, "Multilayered broadband antenna for compact embedded implantable medical devices: Design and characterization," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 159, 1-13, 2017. doi:10.2528/PIER16121507
9. Choudhary, D. K., M. A. Abdalla, and R. K. Chaudhary, "Compact D-CRLH resonator for low-pass filter with wide rejection band, high roll-off, and transmission zeros," International Journal of Microwave and Wireless Technologies, Vol. 11, 509-516, 2018.
10. Yamac, Y. E. and S. C. Basaran, "A compact dual band implantable antenna based on split-ring resonators with meander line slots," American Journal of Engineering Research, Vol. 5, No. 12, 255-258, 2016.
11. Li, R., B. Li, G. Du, X. Sun, and H. Sun, "A compact broadband antenna with dual-resonance for implantable devices," Micromachines, Vol. 10, No. 1, 59, 2019. doi:10.3390/mi10010059
12. Abdalla, M. A. and A. Fouad, "Integrated filtering antenna based on D-CRLH transmission lines for ultra-compact wireless applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 66, 29-38, 2016. doi:10.2528/PIERC16050807
13. Palandoken, M., "Compatible bioimplantable MICS and ISM band antenna design for wireless biotelemetry applications," Radioengineering, Vol. 26, No. 4, 917-923, 2017. doi:10.13164/re.2017.0917
14. Eldamak, A. R., K. M. Ibrahim, and M. Elkattan, "Implementation of printed small size dual frequency antenna in MHz range," International Journal of Electronics and Telecommunications, Vol. 65, No. 4, 565-570, 2019.
15. Yang, F., L. Zhaonan, Q. Lin, S. Wanting, and L. Gaosheng, "A compact and miniaturized implantable antenna for ISM band in wireless cardiac pacemaker system," Scientific Reports, Vol. 12, 238, 2022.
16. Eisenstadt, W. R. and Y. Eo, "S-parameter-based IC interconnect transmission line characterization," IEEE Transactions on Components, Hybrids, and Manufacturing Technology, Vol. 15, No. 4, 483-490, 1992. doi:10.1109/33.159877
17. Caloz, C. and T. Itoh, Electromagnetic Metamaterials: Transmission Line Theory and Microwave Applications, John Wiley & Sons, 2006.
18. Caloz, C., "Dual composite right left handed (D-CRLH) transmission line metamaterial," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 16, No. 11, 585-587, 2006. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2006.884773
19. Ryu, Y.-H., J.-H. Park, J.-H. Lee, J.-Y. Kim, and H.-S. Tae, "DGS dual composite right/left handed transmission line," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 18, No. 7, 434-436, 2008. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2008.924909
20. Lu, K., G.-M. Wang, and B. Tian, "Design of dual-band branch-line coupler based on shunt open-circuit DCRLH cells," Radioengineering, Vol. 22, No. 2, 618-623, 2013.
21. Paul, B. J., S. Mridula, B. Paul, and P. Mohanan, "Metamaterial inspired CPW fed compact low-pass filter," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 57, 173-180, 2015. doi:10.2528/PIERC15032002
22. Hong, J. S. and M. J. Lancaster, Microstrip Filters for RF/Microwave Applications, 2nd Ed., John Wiley & Sons, 2001. doi:10.1002/0471221619